Front Axle

n2deep

Look at the front of the axle beam just below the right hand spring. There should be some digits that start with FA or FAW. The next digits should be the axle model. On early models you need a book to tell the rating for a particular model, on later models the axle model is the rating. On the latest RD's, Mack discontinued stamping a model number at all.

Dave

See my Flickr photostream page

http://www.flickr.com/photos/96692978@N05/

Look at the front of the axle beam just below the right hand spring. There should be some digits that start with FA or FAW. The next digits should be the axle model. On early models you need a book to tell the rating for a particular model, on later models the axle model is the rating. On the latest RD's, Mack discontinued stamping a model number at all.

Dave

If it is a Rockwell steer axle there will be an, (or would have been) aluminum tag riveted to the center of the axle beam. Usually they started with something like FF901XXXX denoting options to the axle.

If it is a Mack built axle, the above mentioned by Dave is correct. An FA(W) 537 is a very common 12,000# steer axle for instance. R models were supplied a lot with 9000# axles if a tractor in the early years.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Not had time to look for numbers yet. I did call worldwide and with all the other Macks I just give them the serial number and they stick the price to me. This time I give them the serial number and they say they can't tell anything about bearings, kingpin and bushings or anything else, it just give a parts number for the front axle no other info.

Not had time to look for numbers yet. I did call worldwide and with all the other Macks I just give them the serial number and they stick the price to me. This time I give them the serial number and they say they can't tell anything about bearings, kingpin and bushings or anything else, it just give a parts number for the front axle no other info.

The aftermarket parts sources do not have the database the dealer network does for "drilling down" to parts level for what the truck was built with, or are subcomponents of.

I find many OEM Mack parts to be competetively priced as opposed to the aftermarket suppliers. The parts guys at the Mack dealer I use predominantly are always willing to help me out, as is Barry on this site.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Worldwide equipment is a dealer.

Press that dealer HARD if needed. If they are unwilling to help you out, try either Tidewater Mack in Virginia Beach, or Barry at 1-800-304-6225. That information is there. Lazy people don't want to help you find it.

Rob

fa 534 is all I can find.

From memory that is about a 9500-10,000# axle. It is the number you will need to go further without actually taking anything apart. A good NAPA, or Carquest should be able to help you out from this point if you do not utilize a dealer.

Rob