Slow 237

Hi Kevin, Are you sure you want to mess with an economical fuel sipping 237 with todays fuel prices going through the roof? You can't get around it, more power means burning more fuel and if you're trying to earn a living with that Mack it would be nice for your pocketbook to pass those 700HP hotrods at the fuel station who just passed you a few miles back. I've still got the original END673 in my "B" which still works regularly and is fantastic on fuel. I won't win many drag races but the low RPM torque blows away a lot of newer engines and I enjoy driving by them as they fuel up :D . Bob

• Like 1

Ain't a Mack? Take it back!

can anyone tell me how to get more go out of a E6-237? thanks, Kevin

Thanks Bob-I Believe you are right -but I believe sometimes its a matter of efficiency this engine seems to consume more fuel then the 283 hp tip turbine in the 84,of course this old truck weighs 25000 empty.Would really like to reduce the tare weight by about aton or so.If the fuel hasnt been messed with all these Maxidynes and econdynes seem to be pretty close on fuel consumption-provided they are doing the same thing.It seems that 6 mpg isnt hard to achieve-Kevin

Hi Kevin

I agree with rsmartyn. Those older diesels are great on fuel economy. be carefull as adding to much fuel will lower mpgs and may cause high EGTs. If you do mess with the fuel screw I would get an EGT guage to make shure you dont get to melting pistons. I have the 283 tip turbine and with a few twists of the fuel screw It makes the EGTs get pretty high at the end of 5th gear On a med pull I might have to let up some times..However here in the flats of the midwest It shure does pull good and can keep up with a 300 maxidyne at the same gross weight. Part of the problem with my 283 and the smaller maxidines is that the intercooling/charg cooling (if equipped) is not the most effective. The IC is just part of the issue but it does play an important part in temps. The 237 has no IC and that may render your adding extra fuel.

just be carefull what ever you decide. My friends day cab R model 300 maxidyne with a 9 speed got around 6.1 mpg hauling mail from Chicago to NY and 6.5 MPG hauling an empty trailer from NY back to Chicago pretty good economy if you ask me.

thanks L mackattack-we have decided not to mess with the 283 but may add a charge air or tip turbine setup to the 86-if it is a 237-however when we bought the truck the dealer told us it was a 250-if so it must be a thermodyne with less torque then a 237.Thanks for the honest mpg numbers-some are clueless when it comes to mpg and 6+ aint bad Kevin

dont know much about the 250s so cant help there as I have little experince with thermodynes.

I was pretty suprised with the economy of the 300 maxidyne. The over the road MPG its damm good if you ask me. Most of the mack dump trucks I drive are in the city of chicago and they get around 5.6 MPG loaded or empty

Hi Guys, I get about the same fuel economy as you Trent with the DM which has a (I thought) 285 with a tip turbine. I've got to fix the speedometer cable in the "B" so I can figure out the fuel mileage. Friday I filled it up and worked her hard for 11 hours, half empty half loaded. Today again I drove about 5 hours half empty half loaded but didn't work her quite as hard. The results at the fuel pump today, are you ready......25.2 gallons is all that old 673 burned. One of the many reasons I love that old truck, have no intentions of retiring her until I do too and use her as much as possible especially now with fuel prices going into orbit. Bob

Ain't a Mack? Take it back!

I was able to pull near 10 mpg out of my B while bobtailing around town/road.

Pulling my trailer 14K, it gets 8-9 mpg. Since I bumped the screw a bit I think it's a little down from that, need to check. Still ain't bad for an original 45 yr old diesel!

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

I was able to pull near 10 mpg out of my B while bobtailing around town/road.

Pulling my trailer 14K, it gets 8-9 mpg. Since I bumped the screw a bit I think it's a little down from that, need to check. Still ain't bad for an original 45 yr old diesel!

Great mileage! ol' dogs just get better-Kevin