1948 Mack Type 45

mjmccaffrey

Recently purchased a1948 Mack Type 45 500 gpm that my dad broke in on with the Billerica, MA fire dept. back in the late 50's. Have been quietly searching for the 1966 B-95 that I remember playing on as a kid with no luck. Googled "Billerica Engine 2" by chance and discovered its predecessor! Even better - it was located 2 towns over from me!!! How about that for my Irish Luck?!

My dad has passed, but I have been able to re-connect with many of his former "brothers" and they are more excited than me about the find and restoration project ahead. The overall condition is pretty good as it was in service from '66-83 before spending time as a training apparatus before being sold. The gentlemen who purchased it had intentions of making it a farm truck (ouch!), but never really got around to it. It ran for the last time in June 2007 and has sat ever since. I'm hoping to undertake it's complete restoration with the understanding that it will take some doing both financially and physically. Told my wife it was either a Corvette, a Blond or the Fire Truck - she commended me on my ultimate decision.... :D

Stay tuned as I begin this process - I'm sure I'll be asking plenty of questions. I want to make the best of this and do it right (within reason) to get it back to its former self.

Picture from the Mack Museum and it's present state.

post-2835-1251165077_thumb.jpg

post-2835-1251165177_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Recently purchased a1948 Mack Type 45 500 gpm that my dad broke in on with the Billerica, MA fire dept. back in the late 50's. Have been quietly searching for the 1966 B-95 that I remember playing on as a kid with no luck. Googled "Billerica Engine 2" by chance and discovered its predecessor! Even better - it was located 2 towns over from me!!! How about that for my Irish Luck?!

My dad has passed, but I have been able to re-connect with many of his former "brothers" and they are more excited than me about the find and restoration project ahead. The overall condition is pretty good as it was in service from '66-83 before spending time as a training apparatus before being sold. The gentlemen who purchased it had intentions of making it a farm truck (ouch!), but never really got around to it. It ran for the last time in June 2007 and has sat ever since. I'm hoping to undertake it's complete restoration with the understanding that it will take some doing both financially and physically. Told my wife it was either a Corvette, a Blond or the Fire Truck - she commended me on my ultimate decision.... :D

Stay tuned as I begin this process - I'm sure I'll be asking plenty of questions. I want to make the best of this and do it right (within reason) to get it back to its former self.

Picture from the Mack Museum and it's present state.

The Rig looks great, with some TLC you will have a very nice truck. If you need any help give a call. I see the hub caps missing due you have them? The truck looks like it is mainly all there. Best of luck.

Ray

Engine 2, Looks like a solid rig and good luck... It’s a hard thing to spend all the time tracking things like your dads rig down and to actually be able to close the process with a purchase. I had to go from PA out to Michigan to bring my rig back home!! Had to pay a chunk just for that... I also am quietly trying to get the original firehouse that my rig ran out of.... ugh what a process that has been... 9 years later and im still trying to bring this one together... Any way ill stop rambling... Good luck and nice to see another one saved...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi, Engine 2:

Is your Type 45 the former Mont Vernon, NH Engine 563? I know that

they bought one from Billerica back in the mid 1960s. I like the

Type 45; good luck with your restoration.

Yes, indeed it is the former Mount Vernon, NH engine. A former Billerica Firefighter moved to Mount Vernon just after Billerica had taken delivery of a new 1966 B-85 and placed the 45 in reserve. Mont Vernon was looking for a pumper and the rest,as they say, is history.

• 5 weeks later...

Engine 2:

Back in the late 1970s, early 1980s, I had Hollis, NH in my scanner. At that time

Hollis and Milford, NH were on the same frequency. Mont Vernon is dispatched

by Milford. On my scanner Hollis came in loud and clear but I could not

pick up Milford's dispatches. However, due to Mont Vernon's location on top of

the hill, I could pick up Mont Vernon FD's mobiles. I would not hear the dispatch

but I could hear Mont Vernon clearly. One night I was listening when I heard

"563 responding" (the '48 Mack was Engine 563),then "563 on the scene", etc. I

thought that it was unusual not to hear the first out engines 561 or 562.

Apparently, the call was minor because 563 returned shortly. End of story.

A week or so later I was reading the local paper and in the Mont Vernon news there

was a little article about the MVFD having had some apparatus problems. The article

mentioned that recently there had been a fire call and only one engine was

available to respond. I thought back to the night that I had heard 563 only

responding and I guessed that was the answer to my question. I'm not 100% sure that

it was referring to the same call that I heard but I believe that it was.

Moral of the story: Nothing stopped the rugged little "Type 45", whether it was on

duty in Billerica or Mont Vernon.

• 11 months later...

good luck with your truck, the brakes are the most important in restoring, the hydrovac, master cyl , check valve,wheel cyls,and brake lines probably all might need some work,

If it came from a cold region where it got snow and ice it can be bad on the truck, I had a 47 LS85 had the hydrovac and master cyl rebuilt , replace the 3 rubber hose lines(napa) and replaced some brake lines too, didn't do anything with the shoes or wheel cyls .,just bleed the system a few times, sold it last year,and now have a 54 MACK LS85 this time we sent the truck out to get the brakes and other work done. GOOD LUCK