B-model Radiator Issue?

Allison

My B model has a radiator leak and i have a few questions if anyone can help.. First off the leak is at the fill neck.. The neck has a small brass tube that comes out about an inch below the cap and goes over into the top of the radiator shell. This little tube is leaking on the radiator shell side. Tried to brase the thing today and only melted the tube. (probably should have soldered) Any way is this little #$%^##% tube necessary first of all and secondly how hard is it to remove a B models radiator??

Thanks

Allison

My B model has a radiator leak and i have a few questions if anyone can help.. First off the leak is at the fill neck.. The neck has a small brass tube that comes out about an inch below the cap and goes over into the top of the radiator shell. This little tube is leaking on the radiator shell side. Tried to brase the thing today and only melted the tube. (probably should have soldered) Any way is this little #$%^##% tube necessary first of all and secondly how hard is it to remove a B models radiator??

Thanks

Allison

That little tube you mention is the overflow tube. It should have a rubber hose attached to it and run alongside the radiator core to drip on the ground if too much coolant is in the system due to expansion. It is soldered in place and due to vibration, they can crack, or the brass/copper the radiator is made of can be in a state of weakening due to deterioration. Best to pull the radiator and take it to a shop to be repaired/recored.

The radiator is not difficult to remove after you remove the grille surround. If you remove your fender closing panels there are two cap screws, one per side close to the radiator shell the must be removed. There are then four capscrews across the top of the grille surround you remove next. Then remove the two bolts at the lower part of this shell across the front. The shell will then pull forward from the truck. You can then remove the eight large headed shoulder bolts that retain the radiator to the support but drain and remove the hoses from the cooling system before you do this. Have help when you go to pull the radiator from it's mounting as it is heavy and awkward to handle by ones lonesome.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

That little tube you mention is the overflow tube. It should have a rubber hose attached to it and run alongside the radiator core to drip on the ground if too much coolant is in the system due to expansion. It is soldered in place and due to vibration, they can crack, or the brass/copper the radiator is made of can be in a state of weakening due to deterioration. Best to pull the radiator and take it to a shop to be repaired/recored.

The radiator is not difficult to remove after you remove the grille surround. If you remove your fender closing panels there are two cap screws, one per side close to the radiator shell the must be removed. There are then four capscrews across the top of the grille surround you remove next. Then remove the two bolts at the lower part of this shell across the front. The shell will then pull forward from the truck. You can then remove the eight large headed shoulder bolts that retain the radiator to the support but drain and remove the hoses from the cooling system before you do this. Have help when you go to pull the radiator from it's mounting as it is heavy and awkward to handle by ones lonesome.

Rob

On a fire truck you may have to remove the front bumper due to the diamond plate cover ontop of the bumper.

15 gears...no waiting!

Rob thanks for the info. but what im trying to describe is another tube that comes off the top of the radiator. The overflow come off of the side of the fill neck. I took that off to get it out of the way. The piece im talking about almost looks like a little support tube that comes off the top of the shell and goes straight over to the fill neck. My buddy said he thought it might be some type of tube to relieve air that might build up in the top of the shell since the fill neck is located about 4 inches from the top of the radiator. In any case it sounds like im going to pull it and do it right.. I hate half assing something and i love this truck as much as my kids... Rob you did say to remove the fender closing panels?? Im thinking these are the smaller panels that are around the head lights??

Thanks for all the help guys

Allison

Roughly what diameter is this tube? Could this possibly be for a temp sending unit or part of the pump recirculating circuit since it is a fire truck? My A has a box mounted to the front of the engine that is inline with the upper hose on the radiator. It was part of the cooler circuit for the truck engine. If the engine became hot this would use pump water to help cool it down. Just a thought since fire trucks can have bizzare additions.

#1 on A-model registry

If I drink because of work, why can't I drink at work?