Power Steering Assist Pump?

randyp

I just bought a 61 b-model with 673, naturaly aspirated, 10 speed duplex, and it has a very slow drip from what im told is the generator driven power assist motor or pump. There is a tank mounted up higher on the fender well and does anyone know what kind of oil it uses? I intend to fix the little seep, but not sure about type of oil. The truck is mostly restored and im using it a couple of times a week to move a komatsu dozer, (bout 25,000 pound machine). In my younger days i have driven triplex and quads and this duplex seems harder than both of those, splits seem to be a bit tricky, but im getting there, thanks

15w40 engine oil in the power steering.

thanks HK, is there a certain level i fill it to, its just one bolt in top of cap, looks like maybe whole cap comes off then, also hate to be bothersome, but its a single axle, was wondering why right axle has a small fill plug in end of it and left axle just has a small hole in the center of it, no fill plug, should there be something covering the small hole. I also have not seen a fuel filter, sorry, I could probably shoot a million questions at you,,,thanks HK

thanks HK, is there a certain level i fill it to, its just one bolt in top of cap, looks like maybe whole cap comes off then, also hate to be bothersome, but its a single axle, was wondering why right axle has a small fill plug in end of it and left axle just has a small hole in the center of it, no fill plug, should there be something covering the small hole. I also have not seen a fuel filter, sorry, I could probably shoot a million questions at you,,,thanks HK

Yes, you loosen the bolt on top of the P.S. tank and the whole top comes off. Fill it about an inch from the top. If it looks like someone has previously put the wrong type of oil in there(such as auto trans fluid) the empty out the system and fill it with the correct oil (15w40).

Sounds like someone in the past had drilled & tapped the drive axle flanges to "pre lube" the wheel bearings by pouring gear lube in thru that hole. Maybe one axle broke and was replaced at some point, so the replacement axle was never drilled & tapped. A hole in the very center of the flange is usually just there for machining purposes when the axle is manufactured.

Should be 2 fuel filters in the stock configuration on a 673, a primary on the left side of the engine near the top front, and a secondary on the right side toward the top front.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

Yes, you loosen the bolt on top of the P.S. tank and the whole top comes off. Fill it about an inch from the top. If it looks like someone has previously put the wrong type of oil in there(such as auto trans fluid) the empty out the system and fill it with the correct oil (15w40).

Sounds like someone in the past had drilled & tapped the drive axle flanges to "pre lube" the wheel bearings by pouring gear lube in thru that hole. Maybe one axle broke and was replaced at some point, so the replacement axle was never drilled & tapped. A hole in the very center of the flange is usually just there for machining purposes when the axle is manufactured.

Should be 2 fuel filters in the stock configuration on a 673, a primary on the left side of the engine near the top front, and a secondary on the right side toward the top front.

thanks HK, gonna crawl all over it today and check fuel filters out, also going to go pick up 4 new tubeless rims for rear drive, put new tires on and quit hopping down road like a rabbit. Tires on rear now are very old, tubed, and have flat spots in them. Speedo shows top speed of 50, think im doing better than that, so im gonna take GPS with me and check that out too, I think its a 4.66 rear end.

Look on the drivers side of rear axle(up around the gear area-if it's a double reduction) and it will be stamped x.xx. Mine has 4.62 and with single over triplex it runs 65~mph. With a direct duplex, I bet 50ish is all you'll get. Look on the drivers side of tranny(main box) and read the "TRDxxxx" and see what it says. This will clarify if you have OD or not.

Herb, my truck only has the one fuel filter on the front pass. side of motor. I put one back at the tank with a separator in it to make it easier to keep the front one clean. Also much easier to replace the spin on hanging off the frame then puking fuel all over the place on the engine mounted original version. I know I should just put some spin on types from a 237, but oh well.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

The tapered centers in the ends of the axle, as Herb has mentioned, are used to center the axle during the machining process. The center in the flange end is also used to align the axle or axles to the chassis. An adjustable Tram bar can be purchased or constructed to check center to center length from side to side, or from axle center to a reference point on the frame. While there is not a lot of adjusting to be done on a Camelback, or Hendrickson suspension, checking axle alignment as part of your maintenance program will give a heads up on problems. With an air ride or 4 spring set up, checking axle alignment is essential to good driveability and tire life.

Look on the drivers side of rear axle(up around the gear area-if it's a double reduction) and it will be stamped x.xx. Mine has 4.62 and with single over triplex it runs 65~mph. With a direct duplex, I bet 50ish is all you'll get. Look on the drivers side of tranny(main box) and read the "TRDxxxx" and see what it says. This will clarify if you have OD or not.

Herb, my truck only has the one fuel filter on the front pass. side of motor. I put one back at the tank with a separator in it to make it easier to keep the front one clean. Also much easier to replace the spin on hanging off the frame then puking fuel all over the place on the engine mounted original version. I know I should just put some spin on types from a 237, but oh well.

thanks freight, trans. is a TRD 72 , no 0 at end so i guess its not overdrive, i couldnt find anything on rear end but build sheet on it says its a 4.66 ratio so i guess im not gonna be setting any speed records, lol. I now have a wheel seal with a very slow leak, not getting inside on brakes, coming out between dayton and brake drum and dripping down on inside rim, very slow leak but i guess im gonna have to address that now. I still am not very good a splitting 10 speed, i never seemed to have that much trouble with triplex or quad, but i will keep practicing, lol, thanks for info, nice looking rig there freight, I like that

Edited by randyp