Freeze Plugs

we have a 1983 value liner in the shop among all the other repairs done - i have a freeze plug leaking - how does it come out - its slotted like a flathead screw -do you have to have a special tool - if so whats the part number/tool number --- help me please thanks JOHN @SPEEDWAY MOTORSPORTS

we have a 1983 value liner in the shop among all the other repairs done - i have a freeze plug leaking - how does it come out - its slotted like a flathead screw -do you have to have a special tool - if so whats the part number/tool number --- help me please thanks JOHN @SPEEDWAY MOTORSPORTS

Unconventional as it may seem I drain the cooling system complete, and with unencumbered access to the frost/core/freeze plug I warm the outer perimeter of the plug in the block. Not really red, just too warm to touch without getting burnt. While the area is warm I spray the plug itself, (dead center) with a stream of refrigerant, (R-134A) and this immediately shrinks the plug a few thousandths and it usually backs right out with a large flat blade screwdriver or hand impact driver.

I suppose you could use water in a spray bottle but refrigerant is so much colder during expansion that it really works well. Don't spray the block when it is warm due to uneven thermal contraction that in an extreme case could be hard on the casting.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

To add to Rob's trick, get a can of that air duster sometimes called "air in a can" or "canned air". They are commonly sold at electronics stores for blowing the dust out of electronics. The trick is if you turn it upside down you spray the sub zero liquid that is in the can which will have the same freezing effect as liquid R134a for cheap and ready to use.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

I have never seen a slotted expansion plug. I would be interested in seeing a photo of the plug in relation to it's location.

well had to do a little thinking ---but did thid worked like a champ --- ground a flat spot in it with a debur bit in an air tool and welded a 3/4 hardened nut to it --- shot with some penetrating oil and took and extension bar and it came loose -- the rubber o ring on it was rotten ---

well had to do a little thinking ---but did thid worked like a champ --- ground a flat spot in it with a debur bit in an air tool and welded a 3/4 hardened nut to it --- shot with some penetrating oil and took and extension bar and it came loose -- the rubber o ring on it was rotten ---

Thats because when your weld cooled it shrank the plug slightly and broke the threads loose.

Kinda like running a bead of weld in a jammed bearing cup - when the weld cools, the bearing cup shrinks and will drive out easily.

That trick works with stuck cylinder liners too. (Dry type).

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"