Granite 460 No Power

fertilizerdude

I have a 2006 Mack granite with a 460 and it seems the turbo doesnt start to spool until its about 16 rpm then you have to shift and it goes back down to 1450 and it just hits the wall. I was cruising on the 4 lane and went up a decent hill with light load and it dropped from 65 to 58 with 460 hp????? no way something isnt right HELP????

I have a 2006 Mack granite with a 460 and it seems the turbo doesnt start to spool until its about 16 rpm then you have to shift and it goes back down to 1450 and it just hits the wall. I was cruising on the 4 lane and went up a decent hill with light load and it dropped from 65 to 58 with 460 hp????? no way something isnt right HELP????

Take it to a Mack dealer and tell them you need the "throttle responce" file flashed on your VECU and any available data files and software for the EECU. The download from Mack is free to the dealer, you should only have to pay for the time/labor to install (2 hr usually) They will have to call Mack tech support and have them turn it on. We do this about once a week and it makes a big difference in power and of course throttle responce between the gears. Do you have a turbo boost pressure/ manifold pressure guage in upper left corner? Should be atleast 30 something + at full load, more boost the better.

• Like 1

Also what rear gear ratio, transmission and tire size do you have. The most AI engines has a small torque curve and if everything isnt right the performance will suck. I know for a fact that a AI engine with a Fuller 8LL and 4.17 gears and tall 24.5 tires has no low end and takes forever to get going. 4.42 and 4.74 work the best with tall 24.5 tires ( the 4.74 hurt the top end alittle). We no longer order/use the Fuller 8LL due to less warranty and the Mack trans seem to be geared better (love the 310M or the Mack 13-18 speed). We have had to regear so trucks up to the 4.42/4.74 Good Luck

Take it to a Mack dealer and tell them you need the "throttle responce" file flashed on your VECU and any available data files and software for the EECU. The download from Mack is free to the dealer, you should only have to pay for the time/labor to install (2 hr usually) They will have to call Mack tech support and have them turn it on. We do this about once a week and it makes a big difference in power and of course throttle responce between the gears. Do you have a turbo boost pressure/ manifold pressure guage in upper left corner? Should be atleast 30 something + at full load, more boost the better.

Yes I have a boost pressure guage and it will read 30 if you have it under load at 1700 rpm but the problem is it wont get to the 30 psi until then it just seems it needs the fuel earlier. Also it wont lug with near the power of my 400 2001 CH. For supposing to have another 60 horse it is truly a DOG...

Yes I have a boost pressure guage and it will read 30 if you have it under load at 1700 rpm but the problem is it wont get to the 30 psi until then it just seems it needs the fuel earlier. Also it wont lug with near the power of my 400 2001 CH. For supposing to have another 60 horse it is truly a DOG...

30 psi is kinda on the low side of specs ( 30-38 psi at sealevel full load) I would have a dealer go ahead a do the reflash for the throttle responce program and have them test the aftercooler and piping. The after cooler piping has 90 degree elbow on top of the intake manifold , the worm gear clamp gets loose and the o-ring sometimes blows out and you loose boost pressure. There is a new style clamp for this, Mack had a service bulletin on it.

Also what rear gear ratio, transmission and tire size do you have. The most AI engines has a small torque curve and if everything isnt right the performance will suck. I know for a fact that a AI engine with a Fuller 8LL and 4.17 gears and tall 24.5 tires has no low end and takes forever to get going. 4.42 and 4.74 work the best with tall 24.5 tires ( the 4.74 hurt the top end alittle). We no longer order/use the Fuller 8LL due to less warranty and the Mack trans seem to be geared better (love the 310M or the Mack 13-18 speed). We have had to regear so trucks up to the 4.42/4.74 Good Luck

I have a Mack 10 speed transmission. The gears are 4.33 and the tires are 11/22.5. My fatherin law has a vision with a 427 and says it really pulls and its also a 2006. With just a 118K miles on mine I cant imagine it has anything seriously wrong with it.

I have a Mack 10 speed transmission. The gears are 4.33 and the tires are 11/22.5. My fatherin law has a vision with a 427 and says it really pulls and its also a 2006. With just a 118K miles on mine I cant imagine it has anything seriously wrong with it.

Those gears and tire size are good, just dont go and change over to tall 24.5 tires as you might be undergeared. We had sold a customer a 3 new CV's with 460's a couple years ago and one was a dog. We had it put on the dyno and it was truly weak. We changed the injectors and then all was good, must have got some water in the fuel or just some screwed up injectors. Now it runs the same as the rest.

Those gears and tire size are good, just dont go and change over to tall 24.5 tires as you might be undergeared. We had sold a customer a 3 new CV's with 460's a couple years ago and one was a dog. We had it put on the dyno and it was truly weak. We changed the injectors and then all was good, must have got some water in the fuel or just some screwed up injectors. Now it runs the same as the rest.

The dealer said when they went on Macks website it said my truck has the latest flash on it. So Im sending it down next week to see whats wrong with it. Thanks for your help

The vision has the "AC" engine verses the "AI" in the Granite. Two drastically different engines. There is no comparison. The "AC" is a much better performer.

See my Flickr photostream page

http://www.flickr.com/photos/96692978@N05/

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a bulletin number or flash number that I can give my mack dealer for this flash He says Mack says my software is the latest and greatest but He didnt specifically ask about the throttle response flash. Thanks

Is there a bulletin number or flash number that I can give my mack dealer for this flash He says Mack says my software is the latest and greatest but He didnt specifically ask about the throttle response flash. Thanks

I just call Mack Tech Support and give them the model and last 6 of vin and tell them I want the throttle responce software and datafile, and they turn it on in the mainframe, then I shoot it in the truck. Dont really have a part# of a file that I ask for, however I do hear the talk about a "step 12B" program.

Whats the last 6 of your vin and I will compare the software it to whats in my friends 6 CV's that are 2007 460 HP's

Mackpro, I was down in your area this past weekend and was shopping (crazy) and I stopped by your lot and that Mack Vision got my attention, but it said it was a 07' but had a E7 motor in it? Was it an old flying J truck? I thought it was, but was suprised to see no automatic tranny. Otherwise it was nice. I might call this week about it. Back to topic though, will the dealer know what Im talking about when I say i need a throttle update? Does it increase response or just make it more sensitive?

Mackpro, I was down in your area this past weekend and was shopping (crazy) and I stopped by your lot and that Mack Vision got my attention, but it said it was a 07' but had a E7 motor in it? Was it an old flying J truck? I thought it was, but was suprised to see no automatic tranny. Otherwise it was nice. I might call this week about it. Back to topic though, will the dealer know what Im talking about when I say i need a throttle update? Does it increase response or just make it more sensitive?

We have been buy all the Flying J trucks we can find. We have been flying our guys to to Salt Lake City and all over to pick them up and bring them back here to fix up and sell. We also bought a fleet (17to 22 trucks) that are just like the Flyin J trucks, they came from Florida. We have sold almost all them. People here just love the auto and ultra shift trans. We like to get the 2000-2003 trucks to sell due to pre-EGR engines. These trucks are getting hard to find now ( at a decent price).

Whats the last 6 of your vin and I will compare the software it to whats in my friends 6 CV's that are 2007 460 HP's

Well my Mack dealer was left scratching his head. they had the truck for 3 days and did all the tests they know of and still cant make it have any power. they said they could tell it was down on power but dont know what to do about it. I guess its time to go to another brand I cant believe they can build a piece of crap like that and stay in business.

Well my Mack dealer was left scratching his head. they had the truck for 3 days and did all the tests they know of and still cant make it have any power. they said they could tell it was down on power but dont know what to do about it. I guess its time to go to another brand I cant believe they can build a piece of crap like that and stay in business.

Have them contact their "Distric Service Manager" DSM and he can get somethings done. We had to do this on a truck with low power. Our DSM let us take truck to a Dyno shop and see the real results on paper. Truck should put 80 to 75% of rated power to the ground. Engine usually lose 20-25% through the drivetrain. Our truck had bad injectors and was 6 months old with less than 30,000 miles. Call Mack and complain- 18008661177

• 4 weeks later...

Have them contact their "Distric Service Manager" DSM and he can get somethings done. We had to do this on a truck with low power. Our DSM let us take truck to a Dyno shop and see the real results on paper. Truck should put 80 to 75% of rated power to the ground. Engine usually lose 20-25% through the drivetrain. Our truck had bad injectors and was 6 months old with less than 30,000 miles. Call Mack and complain- 18008661177

I called Mack and they sent another file to put on the ECM and it also did nothing. So here we still sit. Dealer said they were going to contact the DSM and see what to do they are at a loss too.

I called Mack and they sent another file to put on the ECM and it also did nothing. So here we still sit. Dealer said they were going to contact the DSM and see what to do they are at a loss too.

Hopefully they will send it to somewhere with a dyno. Thats what our DSM said to do and he paid for all of it.

Hopefully they will send it to somewhere with a dyno. Thats what our DSM said to do and he paid for all of it.

And hopfully they will find somthing, we have done this before found to be low and had no resolve!

Unfourtunatly the dealers hands are tied, you can't just try this and try that without having permission to do so!

I had the same issues with my 04 Granite with the AI427 and the 06 Granites from the fleet I worked for before I bought it they had AI460's with 8ll's and 4:42 rears with tall tires. I can sympathise with the trips to the dealer for nothing I finally told them they could have 4 new trucks back and we would go buy KW's and amazingly they reprogrammed them all and they ran better they even smoked under a load. I bet they are stuck dealing wiht the EPA crap that was there hold up on ours they said they couldnt let them smoke so they wouldnt make much power but when that $500,000 dollars worth of trucks was gonna come back 4 months after they were delivered they found the power in them. I will say this they have to be run to 1800 rpm I hate to do it since I am used to pump engines and early E7's and they run best under 1600 but the AI engines you have to take to 1800rpm before you shift or they dye with a load. I tried to drive mine low in the power band and it wouldnt pull itself out of a wet sack, if you get 74,000 groos on one of those 06 models with the AI460 and let the rpm fall under 1350 youve had it. I wish you luck and heres to hoping they can get the MP8 to run reliably cause the MP7 is gutless too in my book(course I got used to an E9) Ryan

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

I had the same issues with my 04 Granite with the AI427 and the 06 Granites from the fleet I worked for before I bought it they had AI460's with 8ll's and 4:42 rears with tall tires. I can sympathise with the trips to the dealer for nothing I finally told them they could have 4 new trucks back and we would go buy KW's and amazingly they reprogrammed them all and they ran better they even smoked under a load. I bet they are stuck dealing wiht the EPA crap that was there hold up on ours they said they couldnt let them smoke so they wouldnt make much power but when that $500,000 dollars worth of trucks was gonna come back 4 months after they were delivered they found the power in them. I will say this they have to be run to 1800 rpm I hate to do it since I am used to pump engines and early E7's and they run best under 1600 but the AI engines you have to take to 1800rpm before you shift or they dye with a load. I tried to drive mine low in the power band and it wouldnt pull itself out of a wet sack, if you get 74,000 groos on one of those 06 models with the AI460 and let the rpm fall under 1350 youve had it. I wish you luck and heres to hoping they can get the MP8 to run reliably cause the MP7 is gutless too in my book(course I got used to an E9) Ryan

One of our problem child's was same specs as your AI427, 8LL, but with 4.17 gears and tall 24.5's. We fought with this truck for months, owner was used to a 500hp Cummins so our salesmen sold him this truck, wow what a mistake. Mack spent close to $40K on this truck to get it to run right. In the end they put in a super special secret "australian" engine file. Man did the black smoke fly and this thing really runs now. Unfortunaly those days are over and thoses good guys at Mack are gone and replaced with Volvo guys. Maybe only 2 I know of have stayed but Volvo have them on a tight leash. The only way to drive the AI engine is to have the pedal to the floor at all times.

One of our problem child's was same specs as your AI427, 8LL, but with 4.17 gears and tall 24.5's. We fought with this truck for months, owner was used to a 500hp Cummins so our salesmen sold him this truck, wow what a mistake. Mack spent close to $40K on this truck to get it to run right. In the end they put in a super special secret "australian" engine file. Man did the black smoke fly and this thing really runs now. Unfortunaly those days are over and thoses good guys at Mack are gone and replaced with Volvo guys. Maybe only 2 I know of have stayed but Volvo have them on a tight leash. The only way to drive the AI engine is to have the pedal to the floor at all times.

II hear ya I got mine done in '06 and it had a super secret program too they wouldnt tell me what they did but it out ran the 460 trucks around here. I wish I knew what the program was but boy it made it come alive, good luck with the ones you have. Ryan

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

• 2 weeks later...

Hey they finally made it better. I called the district S/M and in 2 Days they had a new file to put in the truck along with some parameters which the dealer had not checked. One being the torque setting the other was some response thing that was set at 40% and they set it at 100% then the new file and its much better still not what one whould expect but so much better. Thanks for your help all!!

Hey they finally made it better. I called the district S/M and in 2 Days they had a new file to put in the truck along with some parameters which the dealer had not checked. One being the torque setting the other was some response thing that was set at 40% and they set it at 100% then the new file and its much better still not what one whould expect but so much better. Thanks for your help all!!

Good to hear! I would like to know what throtle response setting they messed with?We always set the torque setting to max before they left the shop!The Program >Because of the way the engine is set up the more fuel you pour in at the begining, the more smoke you get at take off the air isn't there to mix it with with it.Unfourtunatly,adding more fuel at that point will give you a bit better responce at a fuel cost!As long as your happy thats good.:)