•  

• Welcome to BigMackTrucks.com

Welcome to BigMackTrucks.com, the best resource on the Internet for Antique, Classic and Modern Mack Trucks!  

Please login or register to take advantage of everything BMT has to offer.  Memberships are Free and offer many benefits:

• Start new topics and reply to others
    • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
    • Showcase your trucks in our Garage
    • Photo Gallery, Member Blogs and much more...
    • Add events to our community calendar
    • Create your own profile and make new friends
    • Customize your experience!
    • Mack Dealer and Corporate personnel can contact the ADMIN after registration for access to the Dealer Forums.

If you are having trouble logging in or haven't received your validation email, you can post as a guest in the Guest Forum.

login  register
    Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Mack Frames

• Please log in to reply
    8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   james j neiweem

james j neiweem

BMT Forum Guru

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 827 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:08 AM

Back in the 50's and 60's I believe Mack frames were made by a company called parrish. Who made them after that and who makes them now. Also who made the L B H G and R cabs. I believe mayflower makes the CH. Not really important in the grand scheme of things but one of those nice to know historical things. :thumb:

#2 OFFLINE   rhasler

rhasler

Wotta revoltin' development

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 1,877 posts
    Contributor

Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:24 AM

Back in the 50's and 60's I believe Mack frames were made by a company called parrish. Who made them after that and who makes them now. Also who made the L B H G and R cabs. I believe mayflower makes the CH. Not really important in the grand scheme of things but one of those nice to know historical things. :thumb:

I've heard in the past that Dana made frame rails for Mack but I don't know if that is true. I think there are a few different vendors that manufacture the frames currently, or that made them for the CV chassis. Some of the CV chassis had an incorrectly cut relief area, others didn't, and the fix for the frame rails was dependent upon the manufacturer, at least as I understood it.
    "Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

#3 OFFLINE   bullhusk

bullhusk

BMT Certified Know-It-All!

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • 2,127 posts
    • Make:brockway
    • Model:361
    • Year:1974

Posted 14 December 2010 - 10:01 AM

I think Dana builds the rears and the frame rails and then ships them to Mack per order complete

#4 OFFLINE   Terry T

Terry T

Terry T

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 446 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 10:16 AM

It's been 15 years or so, so my memory of facts isn't perfect, but when I worked at DTF (Dana Truck Fleet) we had dedicated trailers that took partially completed Mack frames off the assembly line at, I believe Lancaster, PA and perhaps Lugoff, SC and delivered them to Mack in, I believe Allentown, PA and possibly Winnsboro, SC. I worked at the corporate HQ outside of Columbia City, IN and was the only dispatcher in the system on 2nd shift Sunday each week so I had some contact with everyone in the system, but now all the names just kinda run together in my old memory banks....

#5 OFFLINE   james j neiweem

james j neiweem

BMT Forum Guru

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 827 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 10:53 AM

I thought when v@@@@ bought Mack they cut ties with Dana. maybee it was just the rear ends :rolleyes:

#6 OFFLINE   rhasler

rhasler

• 1,877 posts
    Contributor

Posted 14 December 2010 - 12:12 PM

I thought when v@@@@ bought Mack they cut ties with Dana. maybee it was just the rear ends :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure the rear ends aare coming from Arvin Meritor now

#7 OFFLINE   rhasler

rhasler

• 1,877 posts
    Contributor

Posted 14 December 2010 - 06:32 PM

I heard from a reliable source today that the frame rails are made by Metalsa. Their website is http://www.metalsa.com.mx.. The following link is to a brief synopsis on the company and their relationship with Dana: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/metalsa-finalizes-purchase-of-danas-structural-components-business-86977692.html

#8 OFFLINE   Rob

Rob

Bloated Dieselholic

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • 10,191 posts
    • Make:Mack
    • Model:A-40H, B-61T, B-61ST, B-67ST, B-61S, RL-797LST, RL-797LST, RL-755L, R795, R612ST
    • Year:1951 1957 1958 1962 1964 1973 1974 1978 1977 1980

Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:14 PM

I heard from a reliable source today that the frame rails are made by Metalsa. Their website is http://www.metalsa.com.mx.. The following link is to a brief synopsis on the company and their relationship with Dana: http://www.prnewswir...s-86977692.html

That was my understanding also.

Rob

Going through life knowing considerably more about nothing than the next person.

ParadeRain.gif
    Raining on your parade

#9 OFFLINE   rhasler

rhasler

• 1,877 posts
    Contributor

Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:43 PM

Sort of off topic, but has anyone ever started a wiki entry relating to suppliers for some of the "Mack" parts that aren't actually built by Mack? What I'm thinking about is things like frame rails, cabs, and the like that are Mack specific but that aren't actually built by Mack, kind of a rolling database that would be updated as the information became available. The modern trucks of today are the antique trucks of tomorrow (maybe).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users