Suspension

mack88

I have 94 pete .I bought a 40ton lowebd the truck has air ride but the trailer is spring ride .now the truck rides like lumber wagon it is a set back axle and is a short wheel base.Any ideas as to why it is ding this?

Cause it doesn't have a Bulldog on the hood to give it "proper balance"? J/K.

Where I work, our heavy haul tractors (IH 5600i Paystars) have the Neway air ride and the trailers are 60 ton Trail kings on air ride.

When unloaded they'll put your head into the ceiling on a rough stretch of road, but I'm used to that so it doesn't bother me.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

Where I work, our heavy haul tractors (IH 5600i Paystars) have the Neway air ride and the trailers are 60 ton Trail kings on air ride.

When unloaded they'll put your head into the ceiling on a rough stretch of road, but I'm used to that so it doesn't bother me.

Seems like I test the structural integrity of a Mack cab roof panel every time I bobtail one of my trucks.

Maybe that is what my problem is?

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I have a mack with spring ride rides not to bad but, air is supposed to be smooth may be the trailer has to be air ride to

I have a mack with spring ride rides not to bad but, air is supposed to be smooth may be the trailer has to be air ride to

I've been told that a spring ride trailer empty pulled by an air ride tractor has a lot of "jitter" to it. I've not driven or pulled that combination myself but it would seem that with the articulation that air suspension offers the logic would stand to reason. The tractor itself would be smooth, but when the trailer suspension hits a bump the inherent oscilations set up though both units would transfer forward through the tractor, and hence the driver. An air ride cab and seat would serve to lessen the jarring felt by the driver but it would not be undetectable.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I have 94 pete .I bought a 40ton lowebd the truck has air ride but the trailer is spring ride .now the truck rides like lumber wagon it is a set back axle and is a short wheel base.Any ideas as to why it is ding this?

It rides rough when pulling a lowboy, as opposed to pulling what else? My experience has been that the longer the wheel base, the better the ride. On a really short wheel base, when you hit a bridge approach the front suspension doesn't have time to recover before the drive tires hit. Then it feels like your in orbit. The return to earth is as bad as the sudden launch, but then the seat rebounds and tries to stick your head through the roof. A good ride is relative to what you are doing, where you are doing it, and what you have to do it with. On a really bad road, nothing rides good period. Like Herb has mentioned, sometimes you just have to get tough, and get used to it. Before I started changing anything I would hook it up to something else, like a van maybe and see what happens.