Question For Firemack Re: Oil

gmbelt

Firemack:

You recently advised that Shell Rotella T SAE 40W oil would be a good choice for my Mack 707C gasoline engine. I note that Shell has this in 5W-40W and 15W-40W; which should I buy and how many quarts does the 707C need?

Also, I read the old posts from last fall about the issue of oil filters for the 707C. Was that ever resolve as to what would work as a replacement? Barry's shop advised me a couple of weeks ago that the Mack 236GB222 oil filter crosses with FRAM C147, BALDWIN C36M, and NAPA 1237; none of these appear to be made any longer. They also crossed it to the WIX 51503 which, in turn, crosses to the NAPA 1503.

Your help or any elses on both issues would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Gary M. Belt

Manassas, VA

Firemack:

You recently advised that Shell Rotella T SAE 40W oil would be a good choice for my Mack 707C gasoline engine. I note that Shell has this in 5W-40W and 15W-40W; which should I buy and how many quarts does the 707C need?

Also, I read the old posts from last fall about the issue of oil filters for the 707C. Was that ever resolve as to what would work as a replacement? Barry's shop advised me a couple of weeks ago that the Mack 236GB222 oil filter crosses with FRAM C147, BALDWIN C36M, and NAPA 1237; none of these appear to be made any longer. They also crossed it to the WIX 51503 which, in turn, crosses to the NAPA 1503.

Your help or any elses on both issues would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Gary M. Belt

Manassas, VA

Hi Gary, I have been using 40W on my 1941 E Model for the passed 14 yrs., but not 5W-40W or 15W-40W. My engine is a CT 6, but that's just my pick of oil.

Good Luck,

Ray

gmbelt, I have a 1957 with a 707B engine and my previous owner advised me to use the Rotella T 5w 40. I have been using with no problems. As i have talked to several truck owners they have said that it is pretty much the top of the line to use. Also my manual says my engine uses 18.5 quarts. That is including enough to fill the filter. I would imagine yours is the same since the engines are very similar.

Gary,

I called Shell and spoke to a Shell Rotella engineer and Shell recommends a straight weight oil as that was best for motors that were designed for the that type of oil. I just ordered Rotella SAE 40 from my Napa dealer. They don't stock straight SAE 40 anymore so you you need to order it, takes about 2 days. I order 6 gallons. The 707 takes about 18 quarts (4 1/2 gallons), but make sure to drain, refill and check the dipstick after the oil change to make sure you have the right amount in crankcase. I use the Napa 1503 to replace the Napa 1237, it is about 1/2" in OD smaller but does not effect the operation.

Firemack

Gary,

I called Shell and spoke to a Shell Rotella engineer and Shell recommends a straight weight oil as that was best for motors that were designed for the that type of oil. I just ordered Rotella SAE 40 from my Napa dealer. They don't stock straight SAE 40 anymore so you you need to order it, takes about 2 days. I order 6 gallons. The 707 takes about 18 quarts (4 1/2 gallons), but make sure to drain, refill and check the dipstick after the oil change to make sure you have the right amount in crankcase. I use the Napa 1503 to replace the Napa 1237, it is about 1/2" in OD smaller but does not effect the operation.

Firemack

As always, many thanks for your help.

Gary

• 1 month later...
Around here Walmart is the cheapest in town for the Rotella T oil. Gallon jugs are only 19 bucks! AA is around $23, Tractor supply is $30.. all in gallon jugs

Allison, see if you can find a Wolf's Head dealer, I am getting 40W for my Waukesha for 16.50 per gallon. I saw your rig at PPP- very nice!

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

Thank you.. damn radiator is giving me a fit now.. that little breather tube coming off the top to the fill cap has a small leak.. im trying to find someone to fix inplace but im afraid im going to have to pull the darn thing. Ill check on the wolfs head.. thanks for the info

Allison, see if you can find a Wolf's Head dealer, I am getting 40W for my Waukesha for 16.50 per gallon. I saw your rig at PPP- very nice!