Correct Distributor

frd1419

Are you sure it is wrong? I don't know the rotation direction but you could double check the order of your plug wires. I will get you the Delco number off of my truck for you on Sunday. NAPA had a part number for a replacement, I'll look it up also.

#1 on A-model registry

If I drink because of work, why can't I drink at work?

When Im looked up my delco dist number in the motor book. my number 1110057 is listed as a clockwise rotation. The book from the Mack museum on my truck calls for a counter clockwise rotation. I pulled the cap off and cranked the motor and it spins counter clockwise.

Edited by frd1419

My 1951 truck has the EN330 engine. My distributer tag # is ; Model 1111819. The replacement part number at NAPA for mine is 1111843. The Delco system was used in a lot of engines, tractors, pumps, welders, etc.. Also, a Pertronix conversion is available and that number is 1166. I still cant figure how a reverse rotation would fit because of the drive gear on the camshaft. I am not saying it didn't or implying your wrong, please don't think that, weird s**t happens.

#1 on A-model registry

I still cant figure how a reverse rotation would fit because of the drive gear on the camshaft. I am not saying it didn't or implying your wrong, please don't think that, weird s**t happens.

Sounds to me like a different distributor housing has been used in the past possibly when the original wore out in the bore. The tag should have been changed at that time. If it drives the engine oil pump, it cannot rotate backwards or the engine will not oil itself.

A distributor does not care which direction it rotates. The only differences are the advance units that are built in whether it be mechanical, or vacuum. The breaker plate needs to move as per the advance curve that is designed into it. However, even if it were rotating reverse rotation, the rerouting of the firing order wiring would make this null at an idle and through normal operating speed range.

A compression check, (wet, and dry) are the first order of business when diagnosing low vacuum signals, or misfiring cylinders. A multitude of deficiencies can cause the problems you bring up and that is where I start.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Firing order is 1-5-3-6-2-4. Like rob said, sounds like your housing was changed due to age. Easy way to check vacuum leaks is get her running then spray starting fluid around questionable areas, and if the engine revs, bingo.

#1 on A-model registry

Here is the pictures of the distributor, I took it out between rain drops. As you can see it is easy to put in the wrong one. The gears are in the lower pedestal which connects the tachometer and oil pump. The firing order is correct. When the rain stops I will do a compression test. The advance does advance clockwise opposite the counterclockwise rotation.

post-1567-1241446266_thumb.jpg

post-1567-1241446294_thumb.jpg

Edited by frd1419

I just sent Fred a PM (well a couple of them), and something occurred to me. Way back when, they used to use the Continental '330' motors in fork lifts, with the fan facing the back, with the multi speeds while going in the direction the forks pointed. Was that '330' engine different from the '330' engines used in the '40's fire truck?