Air Compressor Drive Gear

rich1282

We have a 95 Mack CH with the E7 Engine.The drive gear for the air compressor just spins on the accessory drive shaft.The gear is just press fitted to the shaft.

Is there any known repair for this without having to remove the accessory drive shaft.

We have a 95 Mack CH with the E7 Engine.The drive gear for the air compressor just spins on the accessory drive shaft.The gear is just press fitted to the shaft.

Is there any known repair for this without having to remove the accessory drive shaft.

I went through the same fiasco last summer w/my 97. I asked around and the only option given to me was to replace the whole accessory shaft. It's not a horrible job, but a pain in the ass nonetheless.

Ever wonder how a blind person knows when to stop wiping?

gallery_1977_876_21691.jpg

I went through the same fiasco last summer w/my 97. I asked around and the only option given to me was to replace the whole accessory shaft. It's not a horrible job, but a pain in the ass nonetheless.

agreed replace the shaft!

I was thinking about just zapping the gear to the shaft with the welder but thought otherwise since I had it all apart anyway. Gives you an opportunity to check out the bottom end since you have to drop the oil pan and pump.

Thanks for the reply.Can the gear at the front of the shaft be removed without taking off the front gear train cover?

Thanks for the reply.Can the gear at the front of the shaft be removed without taking off the front gear train cover?

If I remember corectly the gear stays in the cover theres a big nut on the front 2 inch or so Shaft is splined to gear. can be done fairly easily can be acsessed behind the ps pump or ps cover block off which ever you have!

I took off the power steering pump and just shoved it to the side. I shimmied an impact wrench (probably not recommended) up there to loosen that nut because the engine turned when I just used a breaker bar.

I took off the power steering pump and just shoved it to the side. I shimmied an impact wrench (probably not recommended) up there to loosen that nut because the engine turned when I just used a breaker bar.

Next time you do that just put the truck in high gear and chock the wheels. Wont work if you have an auto though.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

If I remember corectly the gear stays in the cover theres a big nut on the front 2 inch or so Shaft is splined to gear. can be done fairly easily can be acsessed behind the ps pump or ps cover block off which ever you have!

Thanks for your reply.

Thank You for your reply.

When you get the nut off don't forget to take the oil dipstick tube completely out of the block. It took me a minute to figure out why the aux shaft wouldn't slide out of the block and it was the dipstick tube stopping it.

Good information Jerry. Thank you for the reply.

Does the oil pump need to come out to get the Aux shaft out and how did you seperate the front driving gear from the splined aux shaft?