Been spending the winter trying to get stuff done while work is slow...and while I had the rear section out building a hitch (to drag my pickup behind me when I need to drop the Mack off somewhere for service) I found a hairline crack in a cross member. In less than 2 days, the hairline crack broke completely in two.

it was easy to remove....being broken completely in two and all. :blink:

l_46ce3c85bc514d518e1d1485c9747521.jpg

...but at 1:00 AM working outside in the cold, I wasn't in the mood to fight the new piece to get it in...so I rednecked something together that would get me to a shop in the morning

l_c11b65562f0041feadaa5878004c4026.jpg

I figured the flat steel would be stronger than the broken piece anyway...a pair of vice grips to hold a bracket with some air lines attached.

new piece in:

l_2d300a09621d40abaf5ba3c5ae23ba91.jpg

SB121023 08/19/05 called for some extra reinforcement

l_a0224a772472459081714648f4f76720.jpg

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

I just had the same X-member replaced on my vision in October. Was keeping an eye on that hairline crack all summer. I was going to weld it myself til I pulled off the 5th wheel and saw the front side was cracked almost over the top to meet the rear. Glad I sent it over to Allentown Mack for the job; they put new huckbolts in just like from the factory, as well as the upgraded gussets. I ended up with a new 5th wheel too, as I discovered cracks in the slider plate once removed. Frameless dumpin' puts a lot of stress on these pieces, I suppose.