Turbo Boost And Jake

When you have the Jake (powerleash) on, will your turbo boost be lowered? I read another post on here and he said that he got less boost with the jake on. Thanks!

Lower that what? typicly you will see 10 to 20 psi boost in brake mode depending on rpms!

Lower that what? typicly you will see 10 to 20 psi boost in brake mode depending on rpms!

I guess what I was saying was, when you have the jake switch on (not actaully slowing the truck down, just on standby)...... then somehow the turbo produces less boost under accleration? What do you mean about 10 to 20 psi boost in brake mode? Are you saying you get 10 to 20 psi more when the Jake is activated..... like its slowing the truck down?

I guess what I was saying was, when you have the jake switch on (not actaully slowing the truck down, just on standby)...... then somehow the turbo produces less boost under accleration? What do you mean about 10 to 20 psi boost in brake mode? Are you saying you get 10 to 20 psi more when the Jake is activated..... like its slowing the truck down?

When you have the engine brake button on, but you're on the gas, it won't have any effect on how much boost/power the engine makes.

When you're off the gas and the brake is on, it will produce boost...don't ask me how though... B)

Ever wonder how a blind person knows when to stop wiping?

gallery_1977_876_21691.jpg

When you have the engine brake button on, but you're on the gas, it won't have any effect on how much boost/power the engine makes.

When you're off the gas and the brake is on, it will produce boost...don't ask me how though... B)

Because the Jake opens the exhaust valves at the top of the compression stroke when activated.

This causes increased exhaust flow, which twists the turbo harder, causing an increase in intake manifold pressure.

The boost during Jake operation will not be as much as during "full power" acceleration, but will still be noticeable on a boost gauge.

About 10 psi on the ones I've had.

As said before, the position of the Jake brake dash switch is irrelevant during throttle application because the throttle switch controlling the Jake is in the "off" position until the throttle comes back to the "idle" position.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

Mine, however, produces no boost...due to it being a "stealth" brake. I wish I could swap it out though for a regular one...

Just disconnect the actuator cylinder on the exhaust brake flap. The engine brake is the same as any but they just added an exhaust brake as well. It helped a little with braking but it kept things quiet! I used to see them all the time with the cylinder bypassed. Drivers want to hear them Jakes!!!!