R Model Cab Question?

What year did they increase the size(behind the seat)of the R cab?

For the 1973 model year. Also went to the plastic dash. Prior were metal. Cab entrance handles went away in favor of grab bars also.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

For the 1973 model year. Also went to the plastic dash. Prior were metal. Cab entrance handles went away in favor of grab bars also.

Rob

Thanks.I found a six wheeler wrecker that's been sitting for a few years and the guy will finally sell it!It's a "73-up.It has a 5 speed,i couldn't get the hood open.More than likely a 237,i'll find out today.The cab has rust around the roof seem.I'm not sure if it will need a cab or not???Are these "73-up cabs around?(i haven't looked in a while)

Thanks.I found a six wheeler wrecker that's been sitting for a few years and the guy will finally sell it!It's a "73-up.It has a 5 speed,i couldn't get the hood open.More than likely a 237,i'll find out today.The cab has rust around the roof seem.I'm not sure if it will need a cab or not???Are these "73-up cabs around?(i haven't looked in a while)

Sure are, but can be expensive. The cabs up until the end of the R production will work with minor tweaking. Of course a DM, or U series is a little different but straight R cabs can be found easily.

A roof skin, and drip rails all around will easily tear up a $1000.00 bill for parts. The cab structure around the perimeter of the back window like to rot, (a lot) so be sure to look closely at these areas. Of course pull the mat and look at the floorpan, and seams into the cab sides. A rusty cab quickly becomes a money sucking pig on short order.

Personally, I would keep the Autocar and work with it. Looks to have a good start. A truck that has been "sitting for a few years", may have a reason it has done so although everybody knows an old Mack is near bulletproof. Not too many of that style still around neither.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.