Larger Turbo On 96 E7-454?

Dlock13

I have a 96 E7-454 with a S400 turbo and I'm wondering if anyone has ever put a larger turbo on this engine. I've installed 20% over spec injectors and will need to put another turbo on due to the band clamp breaking and partially destroying the fins. I know Rochester Fuel sells a larger turbo kit and so does Northwest Truck, but I noticed you can get the S400 with larger impellers and the new models have what is called extended tip technology. I have found that you can get Borg-Warner turbos now as well. Anyone have any thoughts on the matter or any experience doing so? Thanks

The only advice I can offer on this subject is a negatory on the Borg-Warner. This is the one the E-TECHs have so much trouble with. I ran one for 144,000 miles till it came apart. Put my old reliable Schwitzer back on still going 800,000+ miles. Trouble is Mack won't sell you a Schwitzer anymore. All Borg-Warner now.

I have a 96 E7-454 with a S400 turbo and I'm wondering if anyone has ever put a larger turbo on this engine. I've installed 20% over spec injectors and will need to put another turbo on due to the band clamp breaking and partially destroying the fins. I know Rochester Fuel sells a larger turbo kit and so does Northwest Truck, but I noticed you can get the S400 with larger impellers and the new models have what is called extended tip technology. I have found that you can get Borg-Warner turbos now as well. Anyone have any thoughts on the matter or any experience doing so? Thanks

I use a Borg-Warner S4 from Mack 5145m4 will produce 44 to 47 psi all day long.

gallery_133_137_10125.jpg

Thanks for hearing me out.

You can have the soap box now---------JIM

Read your other post regarding turbos. Mack can't (or won't) get me the bigger, better Schwitzer like originally came on my 427. The current replacement B/W is smaller with about 5 psi lower boost. I got warranty on the B/W and thank God I kept my Schwitzer didn't turn it in for core.

Read your other post regarding turbos. Mack can't (or won't) get me the bigger, better Schwitzer like originally came on my 427. The current replacement B/W is smaller with about 5 psi lower boost. I got warranty on the B/W and thank God I kept my Schwitzer didn't turn it in for core.

Don't ask Mack for the replacement turbo call Borg-Warner for what you want it to do.

Last year I put my model turbo on a 2005 460 with high flow injector's

Picked up his mpg from 4.0 to 5.7 and power to boot

Like I said before Mack {Volvo}only stocks what works for WASTE MANAGEMENT trucks their only costumer they have

Don't ask Mack for the replacement turbo call Borg-Warner for what you want it to do.

Last year I put my model turbo on a 2005 460 with high flow injector's

Picked up his mpg from 4.0 to 5.7 and power to boot

Like I said before Mack {Volvo}only stocks what works for WASTE MANAGEMENT trucks their only costumer they have

I called Borg-Warner and the part# that you are using is the Jacobs Stealth Brake turbo version of my part#. The only difference is an extra sealing groove and o-ring. I can replace the turbo with a model on a Detroit, but I would have to change the air inlet pipe and and to the inter-cooler pipe.

hey I too have the stage 2 inj. from rochester fuel as well as the bigger turbo from them. dont really notice any change in fuel econ.(cant be helped in a RB roll off, boxs catch to much wind)... but power wise world of difference!! I only get 34-35 psi boost(25psi with jake on), exhaust gets a bit hot on a long climb but cools right down quickly on the down. I had to get the plastic intake breather pipe off a CL and cut it down it fit turbo, and got a pipe made with proper angle for hot pipe to air to air. I feel I need a bit more air flow though, so I got an old oem (tip turbo) hood scoop, and will be adding a K&N 6" flang filter to the breather to turbo pipe! Its alot harder to do this stuff to a RB than a CH or CL...BUT real trucks rattle!! check out my garge pics I think I have turbo pics

I called Borg-Warner and the part# that you are using is the Jacobs Stealth Brake turbo version of my part#. The only difference is an extra sealing groove and o-ring. I can replace the turbo with a model on a Detroit, but I would have to change the air inlet pipe and and to the inter-cooler pipe.
I called Borg-Warner and the part# that you are using is the Jacobs Stealth Brake turbo version of my part

yes it is, but 5 years ago they superseded my old turbo 5145AM to a 5173mx since I don't have a stealth brake if you go to Mack (unless something has changed never seen a new service bulletin) they will only get you a 5145m4 if you have the stealth.

I can replace the turbo with a model on a Detroit, but I would have to change the air inlet pipe and and to the inter-cooler pipe.

Yes you can but that is not going to help your Mack parts dept.

What if that turbo fails and you have to be towed to a Mack dealer

You asked on a turbo options and I told you 5145m4

This turbo on my 454 and will produce 47 lbs of boost and put 477 to the ground with the fan locked