Hello,

My old R767 back in 1976 :)

Barry

Hi Barry, you managed to get a copy, thats great. It certainly was a nice truck, be great to see it looking like that again. G&L Stevens ran a tanker operation out of Darwin. Their 1st Mack was an R615RS Flinstone. There was a Cummins powered R700 with a fibreglass cab, it may have been Noel Buntines, he had quite a few. Brambles Manford had some aswell. Wettenhalls in Melbourne bought 4 R700's, 1 had a 320 coolpower, the other 3 had 350 Cummins', the only difference in appearance was the 320 had twin cleaners. I think they all had Mack 12 spd Maxitorque's and 34,000lb rears. I'm workin my way round this computer thing, I'm at the stage were I want to post some pics, just got to get it together. regards jeffro

Hi Jeff,

I was just abit exited when the mag article turned up in the post. Got this copy from the Transport Hall of Fame in Alice.

Im going to run an add in Truckin life and see if someone will part with the particular mag it was in.

I managed to read the signwork on the door with a magnifying glass and it says Stevens Transport, Darwin so your bang on. With a little reserch yesterday I found out Stevens Transport was G & L Steven. George Steven. Im now on the hunt to try and find him. The boys from Shaw Trans in Darwin tell me Stevens havnt been around the NT for years now.

Mack in QLD are rattling through their archives to see what they can find on it so if they turn something up it may answer some of my questions.

Your information about who had what is interesting.

I think it is fitting to restore it as in the picture.

Thanks for the great info.

Barry

Hi Jeff,

I was just abit exited when the mag article turned up in the post. Got this copy from the Transport Hall of Fame in Alice.

Im going to run an add in Truckin life and see if someone will part with the particular mag it was in.

I managed to read the signwork on the door with a magnifying glass and it says Stevens Transport, Darwin so your bang on. With a little reserch yesterday I found out Stevens Transport was G & L Steven. George Steven. Im now on the hunt to try and find him. The boys from Shaw Trans in Darwin tell me Stevens havnt been around the NT for years now.

Mack in QLD are rattling through their archives to see what they can find on it so if they turn something up it may answer some of my questions.

Your information about who had what is interesting.

I think it is fitting to restore it as in the picture.

Thanks for the great info.

Barry

Gday mate how are ya? Great work in tracking the info down for your truck and best of luck trying to find the original owner. If you do manage to get onto him you might ask him if he was the original owner of that R615 Flinstone. There were only a handful that came out and Im trying to make a bit of a list up of who had them and where they got to. Anyway great to hear youre making inroads on your project, all the best, Skip. (Dave Willis)

She looks the business, Baz, as I've said already. Sounds like you need a trip to the NT to hunt some info down...

Hey Dave, I can put you in touch with a Flintstone fan you've probably already come across in Dubbo. I suspect he'll have some chassis numbers of local F'stones.

Whatever rubs your buddah.

The Mack E Model Registry - 103 entries
The Mack A Model Registry - 14 entries

Gday mate how are ya? Great work in tracking the info down for your truck and best of luck trying to find the original owner. If you do manage to get onto him you might ask him if he was the original owner of that R615 Flinstone. There were only a handful that came out and Im trying to make a bit of a list up of who had them and where they got to. Anyway great to hear youre making inroads on your project, all the best, Skip. (Dave Willis)
Hi Skip, Stevens were the original owners of the said R615RS, Mayne Nickless had some, Brambles Manford had some then there was was the fibreglass ones. I think there was about 25 in total . I can help you with your list. Jeff

I remember seeing this truck in Darwin when I was a kid. My Dad had a R797RS in those days and I remember your truck having a Cummins engine (and this article in the magazine). It was a bit unusual to see one with a Cummins in it. I am trying to find Dads old R700 for myself. It had the same sleeper cab as yours originally did.

Have fun with the resto..I look forward to seeing the progress.

regards,

Rod Preston

I remember seeing this truck in Darwin when I was a kid. My Dad had a R797RS in those days and I remember your truck having a Cummins engine (and this article in the magazine). It was a bit unusual to see one with a Cummins in it. I am trying to find Dads old R700 for myself. It had the same sleeper cab as yours originally did.

Have fun with the resto..I look forward to seeing the progress.

regards,

Rod Preston

Hi Rod, would that be the 'spirit of adventure'? Nice lookin truck that one. R 700's are a great lookin truck. Good luck finding her. Jeffro

Hi Rod, would that be the 'spirit of adventure'? Nice lookin truck that one. R 700's are a great lookin truck. Good luck finding her. Jeffro

Yes Jeffro..That was "The Spirit of Adventure II" . Dad's first Mack was a R685RS which was traded in on the R797RS. I believe the R700 was being used around Brisbane in recent years, so I have the feelers out to see if indeed she still exists. I have many photos of it but my favourite is the pic in the Bulldog Bulletin which I will try and scan and put on the site here.

Hi Jeff, Rod

Thanks for the feedback.

There doesnt seem to be many 700's around these days. Do you have any ideas on how many they did make here ?

Were most of them Mack V8's or was there a real mixture of engines. Swishy tells me Wettenalls had some Cummins powered ones.

Im still curious about the gearbox setup in this one of mine. There is a set of Mack rear trans mounts about 4'6" back from the flywheel housing that I cant work out. To far back for a maxitorque and to close for an aux. The picture isnt very clear but you can see the mount.

Barry

post-3147-1235262686.jpg

HI. Barry I will take a stab in the dark about the mountings. My R 600 mounts 12515 R/R are 6" from flywheel housing R/R is roughly 3' 6" long to centre of uni. The maxitouque box without splitter aux would be a bit shorter. 4' 6" would be close for a aux box. The 5x4 spicer setup would come close. The jackshaft was not very long just a couple of yokes and 2 or 3 inches of tube. I will try to find a piccy of a Brambles B model fitted with Quad box and Spicer 4 speed aux. Mark

Hi Jeff, Rod

Thanks for the feedback.

There doesnt seem to be many 700's around these days. Do you have any ideas on how many they did make here ?

Were most of them Mack V8's or was there a real mixture of engines. Swishy tells me Wettenalls had some Cummins powered ones.

Im still curious about the gearbox setup in this one of mine. There is a set of Mack rear trans mounts about 4'6" back from the flywheel housing that I cant work out. To far back for a maxitorque and to close for an aux. The picture isnt very clear but you can see the mount.

Barry

Barry,

Your truck was a bit unusual at the time in having a Cummins engine fitted. Most Macks back then had Mack engines, however the Cummins and Cats started to make inroads from the late 70's. Mack were reluctant to fit anything bigger than a 350 Cummins as they couldn't fit a big enough radiator under the R700 bonnet. The introduction of the Superliner bonnet allowed them to fit bigger radiators and therefore bigger non Mack engines. I know that Mack wouldn't build a R700 with a KT450 Cummins (you could get one in a KW) due to the radiator size. If my memory serves me correctly, the radiator in a R700 was 1200 sq inches max. and the larger Cummins engines needed 1400 sq inches ( is that correct Jeff?)

I don't recall any Macks having a GM factory fitted back then (Jeff do you know of any?). You could tell the R700's that had non Mack engines usually by the Air Cleaner size. Non Mack engines had smaller diameter Donaldsons fitted as your truck does Barry.

Regards Rod

Hello,

Thanks for the reply.

After my post this morning I got underneath with the pressure cleaner and blew a heap of crud out and found a second set of mounts further back !

Identical to the picture you posted of the Spicer auxiliery so my question is answered. Two sets of mounts about two feet apart.

Now could be the hard bit though, finding a 1241-C spicer box shouldnt be to hard but the mounting brackets on the box could be difficult.

Thanks again for your help.

Barry

Hello,

Thanks for the reply.

After my post this morning I got underneath with the pressure cleaner and blew a heap of crud out and found a second set of mounts further back !

Identical to the picture you posted of the Spicer auxiliery so my question is answered. Two sets of mounts about two feet apart.

Now could be the hard bit though, finding a 1241-C spicer box shouldnt be to hard but the mounting brackets on the box could be difficult.

Thanks again for your help.

Barry

Hi Barry, talk to Mario at M&S mechanical in kelmscott, he may have a box, or know where to get one? the mounts may be just custom made steel?

how did you go with that hood?

regards Grant

Barry,

Your truck was a bit unusual at the time in having a Cummins engine fitted. Most Macks back then had Mack engines, however the Cummins and Cats started to make inroads from the late 70's. Mack were reluctant to fit anything bigger than a 350 Cummins as they couldn't fit a big enough radiator under the R700 bonnet. The introduction of the Superliner bonnet allowed them to fit bigger radiators and therefore bigger non Mack engines. I know that Mack wouldn't build a R700 with a KT450 Cummins (you could get one in a KW) due to the radiator size. If my memory serves me correctly, the radiator in a R700 was 1200 sq inches max. and the larger Cummins engines needed 1400 sq inches ( is that correct Jeff?)

I don't recall any Macks having a GM factory fitted back then (Jeff do you know of any?). You could tell the R700's that had non Mack engines usually by the Air Cleaner size. Non Mack engines had smaller diameter Donaldsons fitted as your truck does Barry.

Regards Rod

Hi Rod, I can't recall any R700's with GM's, but Noel Buntine, Wettenhalls and Brambles Manford had R700's with Cummins', Bell had one or more FR700's with Detroit Diesel fitted. I just posted a pic of a Superliner with factory 8 92 under 'Superliner with 8V92', do you know of any more? jeffro.

Hi Jeff, Rod

Thanks for the feedback.

Barry

Gday Barry. The only time Ive seen anything like that is on an old superliner tow truck over here. Its got a 350 CAT (3406A) with a brakesaver fitted from new with a 12spd. It has 2 sets of rear engine mounts one lot about 18" behind the other. I guess it may have been to do with the brakesaver. Skip

here in the US we had some GM and Cat engiens sneak into the long hood superliners R700 and RS700L

cummins was the most commonly off breed engine found under the hood. I remember roadway having alot of R700s with 318 detroits

Being reasonably new at this Mack game I never knew so many options were available for vendor engines, transmissions and back ends across the R model range of trucks.

Ive been putting a list together of all the R variations I can find with their build years and numbers built and its surprised me.

As you say the 318 detroits had a reasonable showing. 12V-71, 6V-71, 8V-92 Detroits were used also. Even the 3208 Cat had a go.

They used an inline 6 Scania in one of the R400 Models, Its a shame they didnt have with the Scania 14 liter V8 as an option also.

I gather Mack would have entertained the vendor gear to make their product more marketable to a wider audience.

Grant, havent rang Len yet.

Barry

• 11 years later...
On 2/11/2009 at 1:25 PM, jeffbyrne said:

Hi Barry, you managed to get a copy, thats great. It certainly was a nice truck, be great to see it looking like that again. G&L Stevens ran a tanker operation out of Darwin. Their 1st Mack was an R615RS Flinstone. There was a Cummins powered R700 with a fibreglass cab, it may have been Noel Buntines, he had quite a few. Brambles Manford had some aswell. Wettenhalls in Melbourne bought 4 R700's, 1 had a 320 coolpower, the other 3 had 350 Cummins', the only difference in appearance was the 320 had twin cleaners. I think they all had Mack 12 spd Maxitorque's and 34,000lb rears. I'm workin my way round this computer thing, I'm at the stage were I want to post some pics, just got to get it together. regards jeffro

Hi jeffro, Ive been trolling the net to try and find an image of the truck magazine back in 1976 (i think) having a picture of the 3 wettenhalls mack's with cummins in them. I did see it once by ( mal ashdown) who had a copy and had originally pinstriped the trucks,he has since passed away and family does not have such mags anymore. The reason for my intrest is that i own one of them and rebuilt it back in 1990 with a few mods thrown in.Still has original motor-up rated to 400 with a road-ranger 13rto. According to the manufacture sheet i have on it,it came out with a mack 10 speed and 38's on the rear.

If you know where i can get a copy of mag would be much appreciated. Cheers Jacko