H-63 Engine/exhaust Pics

Well I've figured out my fuel rack problem with the help of Rob and Garth but I have another roadblock now. I removed the old exhaust system which was patched a million times and thought I could simplify it with some new galvanized tubing. The bottom flange that bolts to the exhaust manifold hits the top of the frame and the main airline from the compressor. The exhaust manifold turns down and to the rear at a 45 degree angle. The flange and tubing that was on it was 4" pipe. I bought a new piece and after cleaning everything up, I could not get the flange to correctly bolt up to the exhaust manifold. I want to know if anybody has any pics of the engine and exhaust system. I don't know if the original exhaust manifold was changed and if the 4" tubing is not the original size. Also I noticed the dipstick and oil filler tube had to by pushed over to the driver side to remove the exhaust flange. I would appreciate any comments or pics if anybody has some, Thanks. Actually any interior pics would be helpful also..

Well I've figured out my fuel rack problem with the help of Rob and Garth but I have another roadblock now. I removed the old exhaust system which was patched a million times and thought I could simplify it with some new galvanized tubing. The bottom flange that bolts to the exhaust manifold hits the top of the frame and the main airline from the compressor. The exhaust manifold turns down and to the rear at a 45 degree angle. The flange and tubing that was on it was 4" pipe. I bought a new piece and after cleaning everything up, I could not get the flange to correctly bolt up to the exhaust manifold. I want to know if anybody has any pics of the engine and exhaust system. I don't know if the original exhaust manifold was changed and if the 4" tubing is not the original size. Also I noticed the dipstick and oil filler tube had to by pushed over to the driver side to remove the exhaust flange. I would appreciate any comments or pics if anybody has some, Thanks. Actually any interior pics would be helpful also..

Turbocharged Thermodyne series engines used a 4" exhaust that I've seen and worked with. The non turbocharged engines used a 3.5" exhaust pipe.

Sounds like it has been modified through the years.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

The bottom flange that bolts to the exhaust manifold hits the top of the frame and the main airline from the compressor.

Sounds like the right side transmission mount is broken, or the rubber insulators are completely squashed, causing the engine/trans to lean to the right, resulting in the exhaust manifold touching the frame.

There should be no contact there.

As Rob said, the non turbo thermodynes (in B models anyway) usually used a 3.5 inch pipe from the exhaust manifold to the muffler. The factory pipe flared out to 4 inch at the muffler end making it possible to use a 4 inch muffler.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

is yours a none turbo if so i can mail you pictures i cant email them i cant get them to work or give me a call 540 433 2484 neil

Tony,

Herb is right - check the front engine mount and the transmission

mounts. The rubber donuts are probably shot, causing the reduced

clearance issues.

The exhaust on our H-63 is 3.5", and the original had a horizontal

muffler under the truck. I don't think that should make any difference

in the pipe diameter, though.

There won't be any more clearance than you need, but things shouldn't

be hitting each other.

Paul Van Scott

Tony,

Herb is right - check the front engine mount and the transmission

mounts. The rubber donuts are probably shot, causing the reduced

clearance issues.

The exhaust on our H-63 is 3.5", and the original had a horizontal

muffler under the truck. I don't think that should make any difference

in the pipe diameter, though.

There won't be any more clearance than you need, but things shouldn't

be hitting each other.

Paul Van Scott

Thanks for all of the info. I'll check them out ASAP.

The tranny donuts are definitely shot. Where can I get some or do I have to ad lib or have some made?

Talked to Barry today at WattsMack. He said they had all of the rubber biscuits I needed. Just waitin to see how long to ship and exactly how much. Hopefully mama doesn't get too curious lookin at the bank statements. Spent a little more than I first told her to get it running but that's half the fun. It was just an uneducated guesstimate at the time anyway.

Paul is right about having your ducks in a row. As cold as it has been, if you have to spend any time in the dog house, you might also look for a big fuzzy dog.

Fortunately out here in Ca. it's been in the 70's so if I get in the dog house I won't freeze. Figured a couple of Starbucks runs early in the morning might keep the peace. Once she saw my son's smile sitting it while it was running it kind of smoothed things over..

Edited by 16390