Regenerate --diesel Particulate Filter

toddrnlds

We have 2 new 2009 Mack GU7 13 model straight trucks. They have mixer boxes on them for feedtruck operation in our feedlot. They have the MP7-405M engines.

We are having a lot of truble with having to regenerate or "burnout" once to twice a day.

These normally take 30 to 40 minutes to do. When you do 2 or 3 of these a day, production is slowed considerably.

Due to the stop and go type of running... our feed trucks can not maintain a constant speed for a long enough period of time to do a regeneration on the go.

Does anyone know of a solution for this problem??

We are very fed up with Mack on this problem..... they pretty much have a "Don't care!" attitude.

They have not been able to help us with a remedy.

According to this site: Mack offers 2 different DPF systems. Fleetgaurd and Emcon.

Appears that the Emcon system would work for our application. The Emcon would allow us to do a regeneration while on the move.

But, according to our Mack service tech. The Emcon system is not available on our model of truck, it is use more in the cab over styles popular in the trash industry.

Can any Mack service personel out there help us with this problem??

Or anyone have any experience with these regeneration problems?

Please help!! We are fed up with this problem

Sorry, for the double post.... my other post was not getting much attention.

Thanks.

We have 2 new 2009 Mack GU7 13 model straight trucks. They have mixer boxes on them for feedtruck operation in our feedlot. They have the MP7-405M engines.

We are having a lot of truble with having to regenerate or "burnout" once to twice a day.

These normally take 30 to 40 minutes to do. When you do 2 or 3 of these a day, production is slowed considerably.

Due to the stop and go type of running... our feed trucks can not maintain a constant speed for a long enough period of time to do a regeneration on the go.

We are very fed up with Mack on this problem..... they pretty much have a "Don't care!" attitude.

According to this site: Mack offers 2 different DPF systems. Fleetgaurd and Emcon.

Appears that the Emcon system would work for our application. The Emcon would allow us to do a regeneration while on the move.

But, according to our Mack service tech. The Emcon system is not available on our model of truck, it is use more in the cab over styles popular in the trash industry.

Thanks.

Brother ,I'm sorry I can't help,We have had very few regen problems Have you tried the one call people?They may be able to prescribe somthing! 1-800-866-1177

Who are the One Call People??

Are they with Mack??

Yes !Give them the year ,model and last 6 digits of the vin there may be somthing that can be done.

They can at least claifiy things for ya!

http://www.macktrucks.com/default.aspx?pageid=53

Do you guys need 405 hosepower? Maybe derating the engine will be an option?

It has become most important to spec a truck for a job these days Other wise you end up with problems like this!

In other words if you buy 405 hp you had better be using it 80 percent of the time!

Thanks.

We have same problem with our State Road Dept GU's, These guys drive 5 miles the set idle for an hour then repeat. So the truck nevers gets to rundown the road long enough to do a regen, the drivers are then required t do a parked regen but this takes 30-40 mins. and they usually dont wait for it to complete then they have to bring it in for a service regen with our laptop. There is a setting for a "manual moving regen" in the ECM that could be turned on , but I dont know if that would help. I would call the Mack One Call and the dealer and complain. The Dealer has an DSM "distric service manager" and can sometimes "make things happen". You dont want the EMCON system on the MR and LE trucks, its horrible. On the normal road use, the DPF's on the CXU,CHU and GU seem to work great. Today I am replacing a DPF filter on an EMCON unit with 600 miles on it, plugged soild and truck wont run. Good luck and keep complaining to Mack till they do something.

WHere are you located? I have set up a few feed trucks. for some of my customers, none of which were new trucks though.... I know what your going though though typically the trucks don't see enough "work" to get them warmed up that well the biggest thing we have to worry about is thermostats, and complaints of poor heater operation....

On a side note do you have to go road speeds? Do you have problems with the trucks not going slow enough for feedout? What type of mixer do you use? Vertical, Reel, auger type?

any ways good luck with the dpf....

WHere are you located? I have set up a few feed trucks. for some of my customers, none of which were new trucks though.... I know what your going though though typically the trucks don't see enough "work" to get them warmed up that well the biggest thing we have to worry about is thermostats, and complaints of poor heater operation....

On a side note do you have to go road speeds? Do you have problems with the trucks not going slow enough for feedout? What type of mixer do you use? Vertical, Reel, auger type?

any ways good luck with the dpf....

We are located in Central Nebraska. We never get up to road speed. Generally, do not get above 25 mph very often. Do not have trouble getting feed out, can not get a large load out in 1 pass, but that is due to the ration and mixer. We have Roto-Mix boxes.

I called the Mack One on Monday, which got us some action. Our local service rep. and District Service Manager were here yesterday. They had a service tech come up and do manual Regens on all 3 trucks. Our regens were not getting the DPF cleaned. THey also did some updates to the programming for the Regens.

We are hopeful (but doubtful) this will work. After the Manual Regens, we were told to rund DPF switch in OFF position, in hopes of only doing regens at Lunch or after feeding is done in the afternoon. THis morning we found that by putting switch into OFF, we were only able to get transmission to 2nd gear. So, we had to go back to running switch in "Middle" position.

District Service Manager was very helpful. He realized that our regens were not working and helped us with our issues.

Thanks for the help, I'll keep you updated.