Registering A Firetruck As A Collectors Vehicle In Ohio

matthewb

Hi guys,

I am trying to register my CF611 as a collectors vehicle in Ohio. The BMV is really giving me a hard time about it saying I cant do it because it is a "commercial vehicle".

does anyone else have their truck registered as collectors in ohio? Even if it is not a fire truck I have to think their are high GVW vehicles registered as collectors.

Can anyone help me out?

Faith is registered as a classic and I run a "model year" plate on her. Tell them it is not a "for hire" truck and you are a private owner/collector. I hope that helps because I really didn't have any problems with my truck.

#1 on A-model registry

If I drink because of work, why can't I drink at work?

Matthew,

In PA we have a classic and antique plate. In both cases you have to agree that the vehicle is not used for commercial purposes and has a limit on the mileage. We have plenty of antique firetrucks registered as antiques here in PA including CF's. Call your Ohio local state representative and have them get you the Ohio BMV rules and regulations on historic vehicle registration so you then will know exactly what requirements you need to meet or agree to to have it registered as a collectors or historic vehicle in Ohio.

Firemack

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldnt have a problem registering it as a "historic" vehicle in which case I would have the model year plates. I dont really like all the restrictions they put on historic vehicles. I would like to be able to just drive it sometime just for fun... not to a show or parade or something. The collectors vehicles can be driven any time with no milage limit the only stipulation is that they cannot be your primary vehicle. I dont know what to do yet.

Those of you who are registered as historic, do you drive it ever for anything besides shows? or parades? have you ever been hassled by law enforcment for driving it?

Thanks.

I should have been more clear with my problem.

Matthew,

I have had both classic and historic plates on my vehicles and never have had any hassle for driving them, anytime anywhere. Most of the SPAAMFAA members have historic plates as do the ATCA, and I don't see any of them get hassled either, so I would go with historic if that makes it easier to get the plate.

Firemack

In order to run a "model year plate" in Ohio you first have to have a historical plate then you file to run the model year. You must still have on you the historical plate. You do not have to display it. I keep mine behind the seat. I drive my truck to stuff other than shows or gathering and have never been hassled. If a cop would ever stop me and ask I will tell him it needed run, or I just tuned it up, or out getting gas. The limited use clause includes special events. I drive it to work once in a while or out to dinner. I've used my truck for things that were not hobby related, but maybe they are? Old flatbed hauling stuff? My stuff? In my one pic she is loaded with 6 big, wet, round bales of hay. Farmer guessed at 2000lbs each for a total of 12,000 on the truck. It was late March, cold, muddy, late in the day, overwide, no permit, and we didn't get to our destination till after dark! Hauling hay was a deal made to board our horse. I hauled 2 big pallets of patio stone. Hauled two loads of lumber. First one was stacked cab high, all treated dimentional, second was untreated and half as high. This is for my deck addition. The truck has a 12' bed and I had on 16' boards. Red flagged it and motored home. Made the lumber yard nervous loading but I told them,"don't worry about the bed but DO NOT hit the cab!!" I do not know the difference between historical or collector. I don't know if Ohio has a collector plate. Get the historical and drive it B) . Go better and restore a year plate and hang it so everyone knows the year of your iron! :D

#1 on A-model registry

If I drink because of work, why can't I drink at work?

• 2 weeks later...

When I registered my '58 FWD, bringing it "back home" to Pa. from NJ was a pain in the ass....The NJ title was from 1978 (when it went to NJ.) The guy at the tag place was scratching his head.....The older NJ title and the words "fire truck" overloaded his brain I guess.....He kept telling me I needed "emergency vehicle" plates, and I kept telling him "No, I need antique vehicle plates." He swore up and down for a half an hour and just about beat me to death for being a liar before he finally said "let me call someone." So he called someone else who knew something or two, and came back to the counter with his tail between his legs. Finally completed the title paperwork, and an hour later had the tag papers complete. Ask around for info for a tag place that knows what they are talking about.

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS