Auxiliary Transmission Question

David

Has anyone ever installed a yoke on the front of a transmission (like say a T2050) and installed it as an auxiliary?

You want to make a 5 speed transmission an auxiliary transmission? Are you trying to make more low gears or trying to mimic a 2 stick 10/15/20 speed? Try a 2 or 4 speed aux box instead, they were made for such jobs. A 2 speed aux can give you 9 or 10 speeds from a 5 speed. 20 from a 4 speed but beware your going to have to make sure the ratios are going to give you smooth progression. Some setups might give you a few gears that go down in ratio as you shift up. I was thinking you could put a 2 speed aux behind a mack 6 speed to mimic the old air shift 12.

TTC Automotive makes 2 and 4 speed aux boxes. You can view the gear ratios and specs etc. Eaton/fuller makes aux trannys as well as mack I think, but I can not find any info on them.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

I'm thinking of adding a third stick to a 6 sp 2 stick. I have a couple of the 6 speeds and a couple of the 2050's laying around and you can't give any of them away. With the 2050 left in 4th (direct) the 6 sp would shift like the 2050 wasn't there. Then with the 6 sp in high, you shift the 2050 from 4th into overdrive. A very fast overdrive(.6 to 1). It sure would get you home faster.

I thought about this also Dave, but was waiting for your reply on what your intent was. would be nice to have a "7 speed" Only draw back I see is that there is alot of added weight involved just to get a overdrive gear. would almost seam it would be just as easy to replace the 6 speed with box like an 8LL with a OD and crawl gears. I never did like the 2050 in a tractor trailer. to big of a rpm drop with heavy loads. they do seam ok in 6 wheelers. never looked but I suspect the rear end ratios were in the 5.XX range to get the truck to pull like it should? Im shure a good machine shop could rig up a yoke for you pretty easy.

when I was thinking about this I was wondering if you could just use the air shift and not need a 3rd stick.

I was thinking you could leave the 2050 in "low low / 5th" shift the 6 speed 1-2-3-4-5 and then hit the switch on the 2050 to "direct" and it would drop it in the OD gear

hope you can follow that LOL

Trent

• 6 months later...

You want to make a 5 speed transmission an auxiliary transmission? Are you trying to make more low gears or trying to mimic a 2 stick 10/15/20 speed? Try a 2 or 4 speed aux box instead, they were made for such jobs. A 2 speed aux can give you 9 or 10 speeds from a 5 speed. 20 from a 4 speed but beware your going to have to make sure the ratios are going to give you smooth progression. Some setups might give you a few gears that go down in ratio as you shift up. I was thinking you could put a 2 speed aux behind a mack 6 speed to mimic the old air shift 12.

TTC Automotive makes 2 and 4 speed aux boxes. You can view the gear ratios and specs etc. Eaton/fuller makes aux trannys as well as mack I think, but I can not find any info on them.

[/

Cant be done but if you ask enough people so one will tell you they can do it.Glenn

glenn akers