Can You Overtreat Fuel

A friend of mine has a Freightliner with a Series 60 Detroit. Every time it gets cold he has trouble. He now has about a triple dosage in and the truck still died. Premium fuel(treated to -20F) plus extra amounts of Fuel Saver antigel. This is a cronic problem anytime the temps get near zero. Any help or advice appreciated.

You'll never go wrong by doing right.

Who do you call when the lawmakers ignore the law?

A friend of mine has a Freightliner with a Series 60 Detroit. Every time it gets cold he has trouble. He now has about a triple dosage in and the truck still died. Premium fuel(treated to -20F) plus extra amounts of Fuel Saver antigel. This is a cronic problem anytime the temps get near zero. Any help or advice appreciated.
The only thing that i can add to this is in a lot off cases if you use too much fuel additive you can cause the fuel lines to swell up on the inside and be restricted to were the fuel flow is limited.Seen it many times. Some guys say if a lttle will help maybe awhole lot will be better.

glenn akers

treat your fuel with anti-jel.install a engine block heater for when engine is off-warm iron is happy iron.install a fuel heater of some sort.actuall diesel and gas engines prefer cold fuel.but not to the point of waxing .also stay away from high concentrates of bio-diesel in the winter.

I find that once you have a problem with fuel gelling you have to change the fuel filters. He's probably done that but if you don't it seems that it doesn't take much to clog the filters again.

http://www.davcotec.com/pdf/Diesel-FuelPro...lorbrochure.pdf

Our trucks have Davco filters like the one in the link. The model we use is plumbed to the engine coolant so it also works as a fuel heater. We also run less restrictive 50 micron filters in the winter. Most of our drivers only use conditioner when the temperature gets down to -20 Fahrenheit and some never use any conditioner at all. Of course the fuel is blended differently for the northern climate where we run.

Jim

That Davco is the one he's got. His doesnt have the water heat option. Yes he really needs fuel heat. The people at Detroit tell him that if the truck runs for five minutes the fuel is warm enough because they recirculate so much. I think he is going to spring for an Arctic Fox tank heater. He also has a Wesbasto coolant heater. Some days that wont even pump fuel to start.

Down here in Iowa the fuel is so bad my Hot Stick was no longer enough heat. I added a Vormax filter which allows for coolant heat. I havent gelled since, but my restriction has elevated from time to time.

You'll never go wrong by doing right.

Who do you call when the lawmakers ignore the law?