Fuller Trans Identification:

Rob

I have this small Fuller nine speed that was originally behind either a 3208 Cat engine, or a 534 V8 gas in a 1982 L8000 "Louisville" Ford truck. There are no tags on the transmission and when the truck burnt from a carb backfire, the diesel was swapped in and I can't remember if the trans was changed or not. Both trucks were very similar except one was gas, the other diesel.

How could one identify this trans as there is no tag on it anywhere.

If it were an automobile trans, the vin number would be stamped into the case but no such number has been found.

Thanks,

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I have this small Fuller nine speed that was originally behind either a 3208 Cat engine, or a 534 V8 gas in a 1982 L8000 "Louisville" Ford truck. There are no tags on the transmission and when the truck burnt from a carb backfire, the diesel was swapped in and I can't remember if the trans was changed or not. Both trucks were very similar except one was gas, the other diesel.

How could one identify this trans as there is no tag on it anywhere.

If it were an automobile trans, the vin number would be stamped into the case but no such number has been found.

Thanks,

Rob

there are only 5 9 speeds that fuller made in 82 they are rt9509 rt12509 rtl1157dl rto1157dll rto11509

did you look at the pad were the number goes and see if it was stamped on there

If it is out give me the # on the end of the input shaft and that will help some and the only other way would be is to have a rear yoke off and measure the size of the out put shaft. The real old fuller had the id tag on the top hi left rear and later years went to llower right at the back.

glenn akers

If it is out give me the # on the end of the input shaft and that will help some and the only other way would be is to have a rear yoke off and measure the size of the out put shaft. The real old fuller had the id tag on the top hi left rear and later years went to llower right at the back.

hey thermodyne,the smallest fuller you listed was 9 series thats a big box for 3208,here in oz i think we had 6 series,cheers adrian(p.s happy new year to all at bmt)

hey thermodyne,the smallest fuller you listed was 9 series thats a big box for 3208,here in oz i think we had 6 series,cheers adrian(p.s happy new year to all at bmt)

your probably rite ive only delt with the bigger eatons forgot rob said it was smaller eaton anyway i hate the 3208 engine anyway has no power better to have the 3408 now that a motor just me ramblen on though

Hi Glenn, it is on a pallet at the shop. This thing looks like a scaled down RT-910. The case is much smaller and uses a 1710 series driveline, (the reason I got it). It has "Eaton" cast into it also.

I'll get the numbers from the shaft tonight and post them. The tag is non existant as the truck was a fertilizer spreader and everything steel and aluminum was corroded. One can see where the holes are that attached the tag as the drive rivets remnants are still in place but the tag is gone.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Hi Glenn, the input shaft number is 20788. It is on a pallet next to a RTO-12513 for size comparison. I've never seen this transmission work and was told it was a nine speed. I got the rolling chassis minus engine for the driveline and would like to use this trans for another project I'm thinking about.

Thanks,

Rob

Rob i have looked and looked some more and can not find the parts manual on those but i want to call it a rt610 but i cant say but i remember them now well but never was in one but i am sure it will be a direct drive and that shaft is a 1 3/4 pull type.I donot remenber a small 9 speed.I will look some more as i get clearance from my weak mine. I am over loading now when i try to remenber. Roadranger.com is supose to have the old parts books online but just did not find.

glenn akers

Rob i have looked and looked some more and can not find the parts manual on those but i want to call it a rt610 but i cant say but i remember them now well but never was in one but i am sure it will be a direct drive and that shaft is a 1 3/4 pull type.I donot remenber a small 9 speed.I will look some more as i get clearance from my weak mine. I am over loading now when i try to remenber. Roadranger.com is supose to have the old parts books online but just did not find.

Glenn: A Google search finds that input shaft number to fit an RT-8609 transmission. That is the only one I found.

Thanks,

Rob

Glenn: A Google search finds that input shaft number to fit an RT-8609 transmission. That is the only one I found.

Thanks,

Rob

I know that it will go on that trans but that trans is in the later years and is that trans you have got the same size front box as that 13 speed there? The trans that i think it is has a smaller front box but a big back box.The saft cane fit in other trans also. It will fit a small 8LL speed also.

glenn akers

Thanks Glenn. Thinking about going with a little Detroit 3-53T engine in a small truck I've stumbled upon.

Need something to play with that is different.

Rob

hey rob and theakerstwo,just looking in some older books here in oz they used rt613 with the large chrome knob with deep reduction and you blokes would know that you can overdrive them by swaping the gears over in the box never done it but had truck dodge d5n with 653gm and rt610 with gears swapped for overdrive ,cheers adrian

• 11 years later...

So I recently picked up a 1160 cat with a fuller transmission but I can't find the Id tag all I have found is it says fuller on the top of it in the casting, underneath fuller it also says 8-31-67.

Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks

IMG_20200425_185833.jpg

Edited by Zack88b
To add picture