Engine Brake Ch 1999

johnka

Hi there

I have a 1999 mack ch. When I bought it did not came with a engine brake, so I purchase the engine brake and Installed, this truck uses the jetec engine brake. Now, I have a question, is there any diferences between the engine that comes with engine brake with the engine that do not come with engine brake. The camshaft are different?, maybe someone that can help me out?

Best Regards

Hi there

I have a 1999 mack ch. When I bought it did not came with a engine brake, so I purchase the engine brake and Installed, this truck uses the jetec engine brake. Now, I have a question, is there any diferences between the engine that comes with engine brake with the engine that do not come with engine brake. The camshaft are different?, maybe someone that can help me out?

Best Regards

nope its an addon no cam!There were alot of oil preasure issues with

the j brake external oil line add ons yada yada!Some times bearing and oil pump changes.

What problems are you having.

nope its an addon no cam!There were alot of oil preasure issues with

the j brake external oil line add ons yada yada!Some times bearing and oil pump changes.

What problems are you having.

If its ever had an issue with coolant in the oil or if its higher milage the cam bearings have also been found to cause low oil pressure to the top end which is what makes the Jakes work. I have encountered this on several occasions.

• 2 weeks later...
If its ever had an issue with coolant in the oil or if its higher milage the cam bearings have also been found to cause low oil pressure to the top end which is what makes the Jakes work. I have encountered this on several occasions.

For the engine brake to work right, it's my understanding that the heads need to cross-drilled in order to get enough oil pressure. Someone more knowledgeable may can expand on this.

The earlier ETECH's (1999/2000) had Jake issues when they got 350000+ miles on them. They would usually work when the engine was cold (higher oil pressure) but with wear on the engine bearings and hot oil temp the jakes would not work. Mack came out with an external oil line kit and some other updated parts. We installed a few of these kits with good luck. However with the cost of the kit and labor ($1500+), most owners around here just let it "as is". We have only a few hills around here though. And dont forget the floating Jake pin that goes in the exhaust valve yoke, those caused all kinds of major problems. I honestly would not put a Jake brand brake on my personal truck however the Powerleash Mack brake is awesome with fewer parts to go wrong. I have worked at a Mack dealer for 22 years and have seen many failures of Jake parts cause major damage to the engine. Just my .02 cents

I honestly would not put a Jake brand brake on my personal truck however the Powerleash Mack brake is awesome with fewer parts to go wrong. I have worked at a Mack dealer for 22 years and have seen many failures of Jake parts cause major damage to the engine. Just my .02 cents

Agree with that whole heartedly both counts 68.