Restoring A 1929 Bulldog Ac

I have posted a couple of times and got some helpful replies so lets hope this is as successful!

I have now started work on the old 1929 AC dump that I bought on EBay (!) last year and shipped over to England. It is plenty of work but I thought that folks might be interested in the progress I make getting it back into shape and so I have set up a small hobby website with links to plenty of photographs. The URL is http://rustytrucks.tripod.com/ which you may have to cut and paste becasue it is a slippery little customer - remember the http:// and don't add any www! (I am working on that). I have also posted a few pictures in the gallery section of Bigmacktrucks.com

I have had some help already, particularly from the Mack museum, and there is plenty I can be getting on with, but there are a number of parts that I know I will be needing before too long (wheels, tires, magneto, water pump, steering wheel and controls) but I will put a proper ad in the relevant section. In the meantime all help and encouragement will be gratefully received! I am particularly keen on sourcing better wheels (10 stud Budd-type 24 inch rims with 2 hand holes - I have seen lots of 1920s and 30s vehicles with similar, particularly fire trucks and buses) as the ones it is one are very badly rusted.

But, as I say, I will post a wanted ad. I would also be very keen to make contact with other AC owners to exchange information and so that they can give me guidance and inspiration!

In the meantime have a great 2009 everyone.

Edited by paulbrook

There is one place that I know of that may be able to help with all of what you need. The Mahan Collection, owned by Gary Mahan in Basking Ridge, NJ. He has a huge collection of trucks as well as the restoration shop necessary to redo these old Macks to better than new.

Interested in Old Trucks? Check out:

www.antiquetruckclubofamerica.org

There is one place that I know of that may be able to help with all of what you need. The Mahan Collection, owned by Gary Mahan in Basking Ridge, NJ. He has a huge collection of trucks as well as the restoration shop necessary to redo these old Macks to better than new.

The things you ask for are around, but most who have them won't let them go. I work for Gary Mahan and I'm currently in the process of working on such rims. The last three days before the new year I have been heating, straightening, fill welding and grinding rims for a current project. We searched through about 25 rims before we found 6 rims that were worth repairing. By the way, after 3 days, I still have 4 rims to do. Most other parts are also rebuilt, we use the original spokes for the steering wheel and make our own round sections, the bolts and washers Gary had specialy made. Most other AC parts that we need are cast and then finished by us at Gary's. I know he has these parts made for his projects, but has sold a few to others, but they are very expensive just as raw castings. I can ask Gary if he will sell something you need, send me a list of your needs, and I'll let you know.

Thanks for the heads-up - I am not at all surprised that parts are tricky to come by, and fully expect to have to mend, make, cast and machine all manner of things! That said, even pictures and measurements are helpful. I have put the list of what I think I need in the wanted section, but will also send you a pm with the items on. Again, many thanks for your response.

PaulBrook,

I have little to offer you other than encouragement. I have great respect for those people that can take something in the condition of your Mack and turn it back into a respectable antique. To buy this vehicle in the USA sight unseen and ship it across the ocean puts you into a very small and elite group of such people. When the day finally comes that you take your first drive in your Mack, you will have done more to earn your sense of accomplishment than most.

Your website is very interesting and well documented. I'll make a point of checking back to see how things are progressing. I wish you the best of luck . Steve

Hey Steve - thanks for the vote of confidence! I am not sure about being described as elite though. Crazy perhaps....

That said, the Mack is not as crazy as it first seems. OK, I did buy it unseen, but there were enough photographs to suggest that the main parts were present and correct. Shipping it was made a whole lot easier because it was made to fit into a container (although quite what I would have done if this were not possible I am not sure...)

Above all, though, I knew that that the restoration was going to be possible because it was a Mack. My family have relied on American Iron from the early 1930's (I still have the Allis Chalmers Model U tractor that my Grandfather bought in 1937 and it is still capable of doing a days work and even the Fire Truck that you will have seen on the website is all Chrysler running gear).

But the Mack is something special; historically important, quire rare, spectacularly well engineered and very simple - no complicated bodywork, no electrics let alone electronics, and solidly engineered to last a lifetime and then some. I know for sure that even the most moth-eaten bolt will undo to reveal a near-perfect thread, such is the quality of the engineering. So keep watching that website and thanks once again for the comments!

Paul

PaulBrook,

I have little to offer you other than encouragement. I have great respect for those people that can take something in the condition of your Mack and turn it back into a respectable antique. To buy this vehicle in the USA sight unseen and ship it across the ocean puts you into a very small and elite group of such people. When the day finally comes that you take your first drive in your Mack, you will have done more to earn your sense of accomplishment than most.

Your website is very interesting and well documented. I'll make a point of checking back to see how things are progressing. I wish you the best of luck . Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks

Latest report on the AC is here:

http://rustytrucks.tripod.com/id16.html

and the latest photos are here:

http://s484.photobucket.com/albums/rr206/R...k%20Jan%202009/

I did not bother with any photos of the half dustbin full of rust, rubbish and sundry bits of stone and rubble that used to be part of the landscape of the USA.....!

Keep watching!