Coolant In The Ecu

jzack

A friend of mine has a 2001 Vision (100yr anniv. edition) that started to stall at random about a year ago. Well last week it got so bad he brought it in to the local dealer and what they discovered was really odd. One of his coolant temp sensors was actually pushing coolant up the wire! Eventually it made its way all the way to the ECU and caused all kinds of havoc.

Mack said he needed a new ECU ($1800), a new wire harness, and all this would take 8 hrs labor. A hard pill to swallow in these economic times! Since this was a unique circumstance out of anyone's control, could my friend get anywhere by taking this straight to Mack Headquarters (maybe a 1-800#) and asking them to take care of at least part of his repair bill?

Thanks, Jeff

A friend of mine has a 2001 Vision (100yr anniv. edition) that started to stall at random about a year ago. Well last week it got so bad he brought it in to the local dealer and what they discovered was really odd. One of his coolant temp sensors was actually pushing coolant up the wire! Eventually it made its way all the way to the ECU and caused all kinds of havoc.

Mack said he needed a new ECU ($1800), a new wire harness, and all this would take 8 hrs labor. A hard pill to swallow in these economic times! Since this was a unique circumstance out of anyone's control, could my friend get anywhere by taking this straight to Mack Headquarters (maybe a 1-800#) and asking them to take care of at least part of his repair bill?

Thanks, Jeff

We have seen this alot, the low coolant sensor in the surge tank(top tank) leaks coolant and it follows the wires down into the engine ECM. These trucks were mostly 2005 CXN and CHN, We did a bunch for Tyson Foods and Pilgrams Pride. There is a jumper harness that should be added to the new sensor to keep this from happening again, there is a Mack service bullitin about this. Sad thing is these coolant level sensors are not mounted on the engine and do not fall under the 3yr/300,000 mile warranty. They are ony covered for 1yr/100,000 and since they caused the failure, sucks I know. Whats even worse, Mack is cutting way back on the Goodwill/Policy help for "out of warranty repairs". Our DSM (district service manager) who gives out Goodwill/policy, couldn't even help out on a 2007 model repair bill. A couple of weeks ago I asked for some help on a repair for an exhaust pipe on an 2008 CHU613 that was over a year old, our DSM said he would pay 1/3 of a $600 bill and this was for a customer who had bought over 30 truck from us over the years. Years ago the most I ever saw them hand out was a cam job for a truck that was a little over 5 years old. It couldnt hurt to call Mack and see what they could do, 18008661177