Starting Engine

DWaits

Today is the day!

I am going try to get the ENF510A started today, I have changed the oil but NAPA cant get me a new filter for it untill Wed. Will it be okay to start it with the old filter in it or should I wait? If it runs It will not be taken out on the road just yet, I just want to get it running and do a little tuning.

Thanks

DW

1948 Mack Pumper

Is this a 'Full Flow' filter? Or a slipstream/luberfiner?

My 402 gasser had a little by-pass type filter that was plumbed with a 1/4 or 3/8 hole and only picked up a very small percent of the oil.

I dumped the filter out, put the top back on, filled the crankcase, and drove the truck 47 miles home.

A full flow filter has other problems involved but I think most have a by-pass in the filter to make sure that if the filter plugs off, oil will still go through the engine - - - But at a lower pressure reading on the Gage.

Remote filter? Start it!

Full flow? better wait!

Packer

Keep a clutchin'

Is this a 'Full Flow' filter? Or a slipstream/luberfiner?

I do not know! I am pretty sure it is not a luberfiner.

Attached is picture of the filter housing, the number on the casting is a Mack number, it is 485GB3100.

If I had to guess I would say it is full flow, I took the old filter to NAPA and they said it is not something they stock but they could have it by Wed.

I think I will be better off waiting, I would rather do it right the first time.

The motor has not been started for about 8 years.

DW

1948 Mack Pumper

make sure your cylinder wall are lubricated after not running for so long. i got a couple of 707's running after sitting for more than 15years but i dumped marvel mystery oil down each cylinder and let it set for a couple of days then i cranked it by hand a few turns and then with the starter. (with the plugs out) it'll smoke (a lot) when it starts till the oil burns out but you know you've got lubrication. good luck j.j.

and remember

"PREFORMANCE COUNTS"

Looks just like the one on my gasser.

That's a partial or slipstream or luberfiner or or - - -???

The filter only filters a small percentage of the oil that the pump puts out.

If you're in a hurry, pull the filter, make sure the inside is clean, fill the filter can with oil (no filter) and crank!

The system is built to run on clean oil with a small amount of filtering, as opposed the full flow filters that filter all the oil, all the time.

If you look at the bottom of the picture, that little line comming out is the 'Oil Filter Return Line'. That is all the oil that the filter is cleaning.

The input is a hole in the block that is tapping the oil galley, letting some oil into the filter can.

Hope that helps.

Packer

Keep a clutchin'