Steering Box Mack 700 SuperLiner 1985

Hello friend, I am Franklin from the Dominican Republic, I have a Mack Superliner with steering box problems. The previous owner replaced the original with an adaptation and now it doesn't work. I would like someone to tell me which one is the original?. Here I leave you some photos of the one the previous owner used, which is not the original.

5BCCE061-FC4A-4A84-A4D4-1E6D7415E9A9.jpeg

B6EF697B-16A0-488B-A674-AF099D8CCD65.jpeg

888AB726-76FA-44E2-A2C3-819ED5D2BDA9.jpeg

B556F916-677C-4C65-AFDD-997D0836D179.jpeg

4C5FE83C-C23D-41D3-AFE4-AD65E6A340F5.jpeg

EE0B6ECF-9F03-477E-9257-30DEF5AAA669.jpeg

a lot more explanation of "it doesn't work " would help. binding/ shimmy/  erratic operation??????  why was it disassembled in the first place ?? or better yet why was it changed over to an "adaptation ", have to say changed to adaptation is a new one for me  ::: on a steering box/front end !!!!! NO ADAPATION  . right parts for safety,

I think I saw a steering box re builder in Florida that stated they could be swapped over with slight modifications Prior to that I had never heard of it either this was a recent ad I was looking for parts for mine 

Hace 23 horas, mechohaulic dijo:

mucha más explicación de "no funciona" ayudaría. ¿Operación vinculante/shimmy/errática?????? ¿por qué se desmontó en primer lugar? o mejor aún, ¿por qué se cambió a una "adaptación", tengo que decir que cambiar a adaptación es una nueva para mí ::: en una caja de dirección/frente !!!!! SIN ADAPACIÓN. Piezas adecuadas para la seguridad,

It's just that when I bought it it was like this, that's why I'm asking if anyone knows which one is the original. This is vin number 1M2V215Y9EM002105

• Thanks 1

one pictured is what was on truck after slight adaptation and didn't work in what way ? hard steer/ no steer ? did anyone put hyd lines on wrong? why was it disassembled ? do you have "original" or other steering box ? I know it's a lot of questions ; BUT not being with the parts/ unit makes it difficult to have correct answer just lots of questions. 

Hace 2 minutos, mechohaulic dijo:

¿uno de la foto es lo que estaba en el camión después de una ligera adaptación y no funcionó de qué manera? ¿Sin dirección dura/sin dirección? ¿Alguien puso las líneas de hyd mal? ¿por qué se desmontó? ¿Tienes una caja de dirección "original" u otra? Sé que son muchas preguntas; PERO no estar con las piezas/unidad hace que sea difícil tener una respuesta correcta, solo muchas preguntas.

This is the only one he has had since I bought it, this one is attached to the train

5B8C15C5-6269-47E1-B425-C947D0CAAD18.jpeg

C6CF9ED1-2C01-4635-B5B8-346A40D0C3D3.jpeg

F999CDD7-CD27-4958-B150-8944CCAA8E27.jpeg

I've seen people complain of steering box problems only to learn it was the u-joint on the steering column  bad. not trying to be a pain - in - a== ; like going to a dr saying "I don't feel good" a lot of questions follow attempting to narrow the problem .

Hace 12 minutos, mechohaulic dijo:

¿Cuál fue el problema y por qué/quién lo desmontó? buscando qué. ¿Puedes usar el vin y localizar/comprar la caja adecuada?

The steering box is badly scratched and makes the guide hard when the truck is loaded.

thanks for replies , but "box badly  scratched " : at this point adds to confusion. was box #1 scratched and replaced ??  is there a problem with PS pump; does it have a changeable filter ? if so did you change and inspect filter for contamination?  gear /rotary PS pump failing contaminating system?? without visual hands on inspection ; let's hope someone having similar unit chimes in .

On 5/5/2024 at 8:19 PM, mechohaulic said:

thanks for replies , but "box badly  scratched " : at this point adds to confusion. was box #1 scratched and replaced ??  is there a problem with PS pump; does it have a changeable filter ? if so did you change and inspect filter for contamination?  gear /rotary PS pump failing contaminating system?? without visual hands on inspection ; let's hope someone having similar unit chimes in .

I know nothing about the truck model in question, but have NEVER seen a steering box mounted to the axle on any heavy truck.  So I can't see that being safe or legal around here.

some supers and cruise liners DID have steering boxes mounted to axle. don't recall that set up with box being extremely close to steer axle brake chamber during turns. possibly going to Woodbury CT Friday ; location of two superliners. will check the steering systems and take pictures IF they have the axle mount systems. based on picture of box axle mounted ; have to wonder of the "adaptation "kit number ???? 

• Like 2

got to picture taking of the two superliners today. attempting to transfer/post pics  ,I succeeded in deleting ALL the pictures on my phone. not many by todays standards (only 70=80). however they were important to me. sh-t happens. both units are '84's with boxes mounted on axle. one is a RWS721LST /vin 1M2V121YXEM061364. same green super shown on BMT under topic of V8 superliner  -E9 400 ...  2nd super RWS700K /vin 1M3V223K3FT003286 , 335 ? Cummins. Will attempt again with pictures.

11 hours ago, Geoff Weeks said:

Well, that is something I have not seen before, so I learned something new! I can see a whole bunch of reasons why it never was popular, but I believe you it was done.

goes to old proverb== age has no boundaries;; having a willingness to learn , I've learned and still learn much being part of BMT. 

• Like 1

Long time ago on a different forum, someone was looking to mount a rack and pinion gear on an axle, he was told it was illegal to mount it there (not by me) and I took the man's word that it was not kosher to do so, as I had never seen it done in any road vehicle. 

It adds a lot of Monkey motion to the steering shaft, with the axle going up and down on the suspension and also moves it down lower to the road where it could get smacked. 

For those reasons I never questioned the "illegal" statement that was made, I should have because of the t nonsense I have heard as "illegal" in my time. 

Everything I worked on (Macks included) had the steering box on the frame. 

Too many spout the "Illegal" claim but can't back it up. Like recaps on the steer of a truck, no, it is not illegal. It isn't often done, but it isn't illegal.

My bad, for not researching it.