Abandoned 2004 6 axle ch713 Allison trans.

BobbyCTX

Question

IMG_1231.thumb.jpeg.3f78ed321ac213e7a81b50ac9beb1987.jpegHey guys, new member here. Just looking for some advice or feedback on a truck that I now own. Back story was it belonged to my father when he owned a construction business but he passed in 2019. Truck sat before he passed and was purchased from an auction. What was wrong with it before I’m not sure. 
   Fast forward to 2024 the truck had sat so long someone actually stole the heads off the motor, the tarp cover or whatever you call it, tarp motor and few parts from the motor section. I’m looking into putting a used motor with 128k miles in it. The aluminum dump body and frame are all in great condition. Just wondering if it’s worth to spend the assumed 20-25k to put it back together and use it for the quarry for my first truck. 

IMG_1223.jpeg

Edited by BobbyCTX

13 answers to this question

What specific motor were you thinking of putting into it? If there's nothing wrong with the body I would say it would be worth swapping in a different motor, but you have to keep in mind that the transmission could be the reason it was originally parked and there isn't a real good way of testing those till you get everything back together. 

I see now why multi head motors aren't made here anymore, having one big head makes them harder to steal 

You could contact DEX Heavy Duty Parts, they tend to have used engines for sale, just don't accidentally buy a core engine unless you want to overhaul it! A shame someone stole the valve covers and head, or else you could piece the engine back together and go from there. Sorry people these days have no shame in putting others in a bind. It isn't my money being spent, but it would be great to see your dad's old truck making you money. 

If you go the engine swap route, I'd try to find an E7 ETECH, pre ASET, which should fit right in (Experts, please refute my claim if need be!). Though like Bob said, the truck was parked for a reason, and an Allison transmission could be why. They can be a bit expensive to fix, but they certainly are fixable. If you wind up needing any parts and happen to not be too far from me in NC, I'd be happy to help locate smaller engine parts like the turbo, EUP's, etc. I just won't be the best help with used engines, I don't have many resources for that.

Allison Autos are usually paired with 350-375 hp motors, much more than that and you'll burn out the clutch packs during shifts.  Your rear axle ratio is going to be important for quarry work, in PA quarry roads are STEEP! Not sure where you are.  Truck has camelback suspension which is ideal for quarry work in my opinion, assuming it's rated for the loads you'll put on it.

• Like 1

Look for cracks around the top of the truck frame at the very front of the dump body. I've seen otherwise perfect used trucks that had cracked frames there. As the frame flexes going down the road the front of the dump box creates a pressure point on the frame. 

• Like 1

How many miles are on the truck? 

This truck should have an AI-350 motor I expect.  Don't pick up an AC motor for it, it's a different bag of garbage emissions stuff.  The AI motor you can delete the emissions stuff and create a much better breathing engine.   Just look up "loggin dog dead dog remediation" on this forum.  

Do you have much mechanical knowledge/support? You're missing a fair bit of peripheral parts on that engine. 

If it's a free truck that you have to invest a bit to get running I say go for it, but double check first that you can get a title for it and get it registered and legal for the road.  Would be a pain to get the truck running then not be able register it because of paperwork issues.

5 hours ago, The Heinz said:

You could contact DEX Heavy Duty Parts, they tend to have used engines for sale, just don't accidentally buy a core engine unless you want to overhaul it! A shame someone stole the valve covers and head, or else you could piece the engine back together and go from there. Sorry people these days have no shame in putting others in a bind. It isn't my money being spent, but it would be great to see your dad's old truck making you money. 

If you go the engine swap route, I'd try to find an E7 ETECH, pre ASET, which should fit right in (Experts, please refute my claim if need be!). Though like Bob said, the truck was parked for a reason, and an Allison transmission could be why. They can be a bit expensive to fix, but they certainly are fixable. If you wind up needing any parts and happen to not be too far from me in NC, I'd be happy to help locate smaller engine parts like the turbo, EUP's, etc. I just won't be the best help with used engines, I don't have many resources for that.

I’m in VA Fairfax county

3 hours ago, JoeH said:

Do you have much mechanical knowledge/support? You're missing a fair bit of peripheral parts on that engine. 

If it's a free truck that you have to invest a bit to get running I say go for it, but double check first that you can get a title for it and get it registered and legal for the road.  Would be a pain to get the truck running then not be able register it because of paperwork issues.

I’m in the heavynhighway business so I do have a bit of mechanical knowledge. I have a Cummins truck but this is still outside my realm. I have a good company here that would do the work. Found a motor with 128k miles for 9k. I have clean and clear title in my name

• Like 1

Too bad your not closer to me.  I build those engines in my personal shop, and there is a DEX 30 minutes from me..  i picked up an engine there 2 years ago for one of our BMT Brothers and built it for him.. BTW, that truck model is a CV -713..

18 hours ago, BobbyCTX said:

I’m in VA Fairfax county

Gotcha, that's quite a ways from me! Glad you were able to find what you're looking for. Hope you stick around so we can see the end results too!