RL/RS 700 air reservoir tanks

Can anyone help me with location and number of air tanks on Western R models? My latest model project is a 67 RL771LS logging truck but I am a bit stuck on where to put the air tanks. Most Westerns I have seen have them mounted under the battery boxes, usually two on the left side and one on the right although I have also seen some with two on each side but severe service spec trucks such as loggers often don't have the tanks under the battery boxes, presumably for better ground clearance. Later models seem to have them mounted one above the other immediately behind the diesel tanks whilst some earlier models seem to have them mounted inside the step boxes immediately behind the front wheels although there only seems to be enough space to mount two tanks in this manner. So my question is this: How many air tanks should there be on an early model (1967 to about 1970) and where would they have been mounted on a factory spec severe service model? 

EP9621C.jpg

EP9621G.jpg

gallery_10938_1186_1235356.jpg

img3.jpg

img7.jpg

89737574.jpg

IMG_0357.JPG

If we consider the air system on trucks never changed much at all over that period then that gives us a idea of how many tanks we need

As to were tanks are placed, I can't help with that on  these truck's 

FB_IMG_1703365252580.jpg.a05cb88437fef923d7c63f89e785d60d.jpg

But here is a copy of the sign/name plate of all Macks sold in Australia for many many years that was normally screwed to the inside of the passenger door on all models of Macks soldin Australia 

Paul

• Like 2