1952 Mack l85

Angelo

I believe I have a faulty voltage regulator. It’s a 707b with positive ground and generator. It’s overcharging and burning points and cooking batteries. Anyone ever have issue with theirs. Where is this thing located? I’ve never dealt with generators before. Thanks for any advice 

Got to start by knowing the charging voltage.  Voltage reg would be a smaller black box most likely on the firewall.

There must be a good connection between the reg and generator and also the ground path between the reg, chassie, body and engine.

If the regulator doesn't have a good ground path, it can't compare what the voltage is to what it should be. Some(many heavy duty) regulators are mounted with a rubber mount to protect from rough vibration. They MUST have a ground path to electrically connect the rubber isolated regulator to the chassie. Often it is a thin tab connected to one of the mount screws, but these can either rust or break. If in doubt connect a ground wire between the regulator case and the chassie.

I have found the regulators to be extremely reliable and have two that are close to or over 80 years old and still working.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...