engine fan not engaging

shilohwestphal

Question

2004 Granite cv713  427  Problem is the fan clutch is not engaging.  So under a load in a hard pull the temp gets high.  The dash coolant temp gauge works correctly.  Is there two temp sending units?  if so, where are they located?  So Im not real sure how to trouble shoot this.  I have power going the the solenoid valve.  But from what I have read, the ecm grounds the valve?  So how do you check that?  I also read that if the ac high pressure switch is unplugged, the fan should engage.  I figured this out in the past while working on the ac. And the fan would cycle when unplugged.  But now when the ac high pressure switch is unplugged, the fan does not engage.    

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks

4 answers to this question

Is it an air controlled fan? If so, check the little brass valve on the firewall near the treadle valve. It delivers the air to the fan celenoid that is mounted on the radiator..

Yes, I can move the fan with the ignition in the off position.  I found a wiring issue which has been repaired, so now the clutch fan seems to be engaging and disengaging like it should.  But I still do not hear the fan "kick in" like a box fan running.  I believe the fan clutch assembly is worn out.  Can these be repaired?  I have priced these assemblies, very pricey.  Any suggestions?