Service Manual for a 1989 R690T

sdhco

Question

I recently purchased this 1989 R690T, Vin # 1M2N278X4KW008107. Would anyone know which complete service manual # (TS576??) that I should use? I see that eBay has some available, but might not cover 1989. I have put a request in at the Mack Museum for information based on the vin#. Thanks

D633D4BC-D0ED-4FC1-BCE3-BCC14607849E.jpeg

6 answers to this question

Yea I'm not sure how the process worked when you bought a new truck then. I have seen a lot of service manual "sets" that were compiled by Mack for a truck or set of identically specd trucks. The set usually is in a single or group of 3 ring binders that contain many different service manuals for different systems / components depending on what the customer wanted I guess. A lot of times the front of the binder with the parts breakdowns would say for VIN "XXX" or VIN "XXX through "XXX" if it were for a set of identical trucks. There is literally a different service manual for every system or component on the truck. For instance there is one for the engine, injection system, driveshafts, wheel bearings, and wheels. They are all a different publication and not contained in one single book. Like Joey said at a minimum you probably just want to start with a basic E6 engine book, one for your transmission model, and maybe a wiring diagram to get started. 

• Like 1

Joey Mack, would you recognize what engine I have based on the serial #. I looked on the valve cover but it appears to have been painted over. I also need to replace my door locks and wanted to have a manual to make sure I put it back together right.

67RModel, I have seen some complete sets on eBay, but wasn’t sure how to determine if they apply to my truck. Maybe the serial # is listed in them.

post a good picture of the engine from the top and both sides..  I expect it to be an E-7,even though you said its an '89..  But it could be an E-6 4 valve.  door locks should be doable.  open the door and look for a metal tab in-line with the key hole. post a picture.  Pictures are a huge help here..  Lots of very smart guys here!!