1972 Cf600 Drive Shaft

matthewb

I am curious, has anyone with the CF600 chassis ever removed the pump and transfer box and put in a longer drive shaft. I am looking to remove my pump and would like to do it. I am wondering if there are any other premade drive shafts that just fit in there or if I will have to make one. Any information is appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

I am curious, has anyone with the CF600 chassis ever removed the pump and transfer box and put in a longer drive shaft. I am looking to remove my pump and would like to do it. I am wondering if there are any other premade drive shafts that just fit in there or if I will have to make one. Any information is appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

You will need to have a shaft manufactured by a driveline shop. Another thing is that you will not want to exceed 60 inches of shaft length, (light usage) or you will need to incorporate a carrier bearing into the driveline. Any driveline shop will be able to guide you through the needed steps.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

You will need to have a shaft manufactured by a driveline shop. Another thing is that you will not want to exceed 60 inches of shaft length, (light usage) or you will need to incorporate a carrier bearing into the driveline. Any driveline shop will be able to guide you through the needed steps.

Rob

Were there any of the CF600's that didnt have pumps in them? Seems like if there are then a driveshaft from one of them might fit.

Thanks,

Matt

Matt the issue is that most trucks are in some way or another coustom built to the specs of the owner and what options he needs. this means that there are many diffrences in length between the trans and rear end(s). What transmission do you have? If its a common mack trans we can give you an idea to the length that the output yoke extends from rear of the trans housing. then you can measure to the rear drive axel yoke and that gives you an idea of the needed driveshaft length. For refrence I have a 206" WB I bought a new driveshaft with a new tube and center joint for around $450. this was at a drive line shop.

Some of the Fire truck guys should give you a better idea of how the pump mounts to the trans as I have never delt with getting under a fire truck (yet!)

Trent

Matt the issue is that most trucks are in some way or another coustom built to the specs of the owner and what options he needs. this means that there are many diffrences in length between the trans and rear end(s). What transmission do you have? If its a common mack trans we can give you an idea to the length that the output yoke extends from rear of the trans housing. then you can measure to the rear drive axel yoke and that gives you an idea of the needed driveshaft length. For refrence I have a 206" WB I bought a new driveshaft with a new tube and center joint for around $450. this was at a drive line shop.

Some of the Fire truck guys should give you a better idea of how the pump mounts to the trans as I have never delt with getting under a fire truck (yet!)

Trent

I will get some transmission numbers off of it tonight but it is a mack 5 speed transmission. The truck is a CF611 originally from New York City. The 611 was one of the higher production models of the CF chassis. The way it is now, it has a shaft that is about 8 or 10 inches long I would say between the transmission and transfer case for the pump. Then about a 3 or 4 foot shaft from there to the axle.

It seems as though with so many of them out there that someone must have converted one to a flat bed and had to remove the pump and transfer case.

Thanks,

Matt

the 5 speeds were very common if it has a yoke on it then see if it matches the yoke on the rear diff. You might just be able to have a shop have a tube cut with a slip joint and new yoke ends installed. or they may even have a longer shaft than you need and they could cut one end down and reweld a yoke on it? basicly a used shaft with new yokes. im sure many have done what you have said but like me I just brought them the shaft and had it repaired as needed. the biggest cost was the center support bearing and all new yokes and joints. any good shop could fab up a shop for less than mine cost. all they will really need to know is the style trans /diff yoke and length. it might be better just to take the yokes in to show them or see if a stamped number is on the yokes?

Trent

In the time you waste looking for a driveshaft that fits, then the money spent getting it, then you get it and find the spline is shot anyway. You will be time and money ahead to just have one built for you. All the shops around me have a one to two day turn around. 65% of the Dump trucks, straight trucks, etc on the road today have a custom cut or built drive shaft in them. Anything built for vocational use and set on a lot as a stock truck is typically built too long so everything is cut down to fit the customers requirements. Don't waste your time looking for a driveshaft that does not exist. Just get your measurements and call a reputable driveline, clutch shop, etc in your area and have them build what you need.