05 CV713 ECM Questions

05 CV713

Question

Hi everyone I have an 05 CV713 with what I was told was a Ai 427, it has the Mack multi speed reverse trans, basically an 8 speed. I have been replacing EUPs and had to do the speedometer sensor on the tail shaft. 
    Now I am struggling with another no power situation, first it gave me a check engine light and the code came back as air temp sensor after replacing that sensor there has been no improvent except that the engine light doesn’t come on. 
       The truck is pretty numb and the fan comes on and seems to stay on all day, even in the morning before it comes up to temp. Any input would be greatly appreciated. The number on the ECM is 12MS530AM, is this the number for a 427?

18 answers to this question

033167, I cleaned the connections at the ECM using CRC contact cleaner and the fan issue is cleared up today the truck ran awesome. Still curious to know if I could turn this up? I have heard about the 460XT program hoping that would be possible.

when i was at the Mack dealership.  we did not do the XT upgrade, without changing the tranny to a 2013/2018 Mack tranny, and replacing the rear ends from 92/93 series to 200 series carriers..  I bet im leaving something else out..  Jojo

Clean the slope on the front of the carrier housing to left side of the input housing (looking at the input)..  Yours should have the letters and numbers stamped in it with a prick punch rather than stampers..  the paint is thick, so a bit of effort is needed..  No Grinders!  you will grind the dots right out.. wire wheel in a fast drill or whatever will do...  it will show,,  the part number/ ratio/and series...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 05 CV713 said:

033167, I cleaned the connections at the ECM using CRC contact cleaner and the fan issue is cleared up today the truck ran awesome. Still curious to know if I could turn this up? I have heard about the 460XT program hoping that would be possible.

Your truck was built 1/19/05. AI427 engine , T310M transmission, has the 92/93 series carriers with 4.64 gears, the 4.64 gears are a must with with a AI engine and any tire taller than a 22.5 full-size. Your fan clutch is a Horton Drive master air fan. Your engine ECM was replaced back in May of 2011 and is up to date software wise. Your VECU vechicle ECM is at software level Step12 and would be great if it was reflashed to Step12B , helps with throttle response. The 460 XT program was only for early ETECH engines 1998.5 to 2001.5. Yours could possibly be bumped to 460HP with a software update. However the turbo would have to be changed to the bigger one. If you have a good local dealership that can submit a HP request. 

image.jpg

• Like 1

Mack pro, thank you so much, it’s awesome to get an accurate run down of what equipment I am working with. I have an appointment at the dealership next week and will ask about the software up grade. Thank you for your help.

As I understand it the 427 tune is for vocational trucks and is better than the 460 tune for highway trucks.  I sent my ECM to an independant to reprogram to get the engine to pull under 1500 rpms, it is a whole different truck now.

The dealers in the early 2000's had a "smoke tune" that would really make a 427 pull, that program is gone, and a 460 tune would require additional hardware from Mack for me to go from ai400 to 427/460

You guys in maine have a great dealership, we are recovering from loosing our local Mack Dealer.

On 6/28/2023 at 9:57 AM, Mackpro said:

Your truck was built 1/19/05. AI427 engine , T310M transmission, has the 92/93 series carriers with 4.64 gears, the 4.64 gears are a must with with a AI engine and any tire taller than a 22.5 full-size. Your fan clutch is a Horton Drive master air fan. Your engine ECM was replaced back in May of 2011 and is up to date software wise. Your VECU vechicle ECM is at software level Step12 and would be great if it was reflashed to Step12B , helps with throttle response. The 460 XT program was only for early ETECH engines 1998.5 to 2001.5. Yours could possibly be bumped to 460HP with a software update. However the turbo would have to be changed to the bigger one. If you have a good local dealership that can submit a HP request. 

image.jpg

As I understand this combination had a torque limiter on the trans, is there a way to bypass this. I notice when I am loaded the truck has a real problem with hills, the dealer says Mack denied me for an HP upgrade and that 427 was all that was allowable with the combination I am equipped with.

The EPA killed the option of some HP upgrades on some pre 2007 trucks. Mostly on the AI engines in certain years. It wasn’t due to they way the truck was spec’ed , just maxed out their NOX and particulate matter (soot) output for the year on all the vocational trucks they built that year. It happened to several friends of mine back then with their CV’s. I looked your truck up and couldn’t find a torque limit switch on your truck . Usually only saw those on 460’s with 18 speeds . 

I sure don’t . Possibly someone on here has had a Ecm flashed. Also look at Rochester Diesel. I believe that they still make high performance turbos and  injectors for your engine. I called them years ago and they were very helpful on a project I was working on.