Injector pump damage?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the hand pump should not pump up and get "tight".  It should move fuel even after it is primed.  The fact that no fuel is going out the return line suggests that either the return passage is plugged or the inlet is plugged.  Sounds very much like an inlet line is completely stopped-up.

Any chance the check valves could be installed wrong or frozen up?  Can you blow air through the inlet line to the tank and through the return line to the tank?  Can you pull fuel from the inlet line with a hand-held vacuum pump?

Or, I could be on drugs...again.

• Like 1
  • Like 1

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

The idler gear isn't worn, and only has a very slight backlash.  Seems fine. 

Hand primer easily pulls fuel from tank to pump.  Fuel just won't go from pump inlet to outlet.  Can the passage be opened and cleaned to unstick, or does it need specialized rebuild?  Any ideas on a source for a replacement?   Thanks, 

43 minutes ago, bwdozerman said:

I'll try blowing air through the lines, but, it seems the problem is internal to the lift pump.  Thanks, 

It sounds like a blockage or a bad check valve from the description.  I mean, if you can't even hand pump fuel through it, there has to be something blocking the path.  And I'm not familiar enough with the internals to tell you what to do or not do.  But there are others on here who probably know that pump inside-out.

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

21 hours ago, bwdozerman said:

I'll try blowing air through the lines, but, it seems the problem is internal to the lift pump.  Thanks, 

yup start at the beginning ! the primer getting hard is odd there should be fuel returning to the tank at that point!

I'm sending from my laptop, so it might not show up the same.

Before I put the lift pump back in, I want to clean and check everything in the crossover chamber to ensure nothing is hung up in there.  Fuel does get into the inlet side of the lift pump, but, not to the outlet side.  Let me know if you are aware of any precautions I should take before opening this up.  Attached photo for reference.  Thanks,

Fuel Pump.jpg