Air leaking out of gear shift knob 99 CH613

Old Man
Go to solution Solved by Joey Mack,

9 Speed T2090 replaced gear shift knob with new one with range selector, new O rings in range selector cylinder on top of transmission, no air leaking by when line is removed. What's next, slave cylinder?

the air cylinder at the top of the rear case will cause this air leak.  you can check it by removing one of the lines to see if air is by-passing..  Replacing the orings and gasket is easy. you do have to remove the top cover on the rear case in order to remove the yoke bolt, then the whole unit pulls out of the rear case, and you can re-ring it on the bench..  it is reccomended to replace the yoke bolt, of course you can put some patch lock on it and put it back if the end of it is not deformed..  jojo

I removed the small plate with cylinder underneath with shifting fork . Replaced all 6 o rings with new.  Started truck, built up pressure, still leaking at shift knob. Pulled airline off top with system full charged no leaking by new o rings.

seems odd, I assume you hooked the spaghetti lines up to the knob correctly?  when you replaced the shuttle valve, did you inspect the little plunger for wear? I forgot to ask...  will it range shift?  Damn, I'm getting rusty....   I need to hit the books..   :)  

Edited by Joey Mack
more content needed
  • Haha 1

This is the new that replaced the old, both look exactly the same. I switched one line at time with both knobs side by side. Air leaking out of round dark hole at the bottom of the image. The range selector works just fine and is audible. Thanks for your help.

Screenshot_20230223-103233.png

did the original shift knob have a blue range button?   That is a 2070 shift knob in the picture. I forget if there is a different knob for the 2090..  I will go to my book tomorrow morning and try to find the trouble shooting guide..  Jojo

I have already thrown the old one away, can't remember the color for sure but the reason I purchased a new knob is because it's was doing what it's doing now and thought it might have been my problem. I've owned the truck for about 10 years and this problem has just popped up. Again thank you.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, these are the diagrams I've been looking for. I'll double check the spaghetti line placement in diagram 1 tomorrow. I installed all new o rings in diagram 3, purchased them as a kit. Diagram 2 & 4 looking for a rebuild kit, just haven't come across it yet. Thanks 

Sweet... I am glad that I was able to help you, sorry about the incorrect info about range cylinder location..  Its been a few years since I worked on a 200 series..  jojo

47 minutes ago, Old Man said:

Thank you, thank you, thank you, these are the diagrams I've been looking for. I'll double check the spaghetti line placement in diagram 1 tomorrow. I installed all new o rings in diagram 3, purchased them as a kit. Diagram 2 & 4 looking for a rebuild kit, just haven't come across it yet. Thanks 

Easy to find online,just google it..good luck.

• 1 month later...