B-Model Tie Rod Ends

Barry

Hey guys...what size is the stud that goes into your B-Model steering spindle control arm?  It looks like it should be either 7/8" or 3/4" (or maybe both options?)

Also, if you have a newer style female threaded tube, what is the tube length end to end?  So far, I think 58" would do just fine.

Any help or even part numbers that you have used will help!  I am trying to put together a new tie rod kit for B-Models but I want to make sure it covers most models!

bmodel_logo.png
Barry - Watt's Truck Center Parts Manager and BMT Webmaster...1-888-304-MACK

Barry, I had similar issues replacing the tie rod and ends on my R (FA 535 axle).  The factory cross tube was male-ended and the tie rod ends were those split females (have the parts breakdowns from Mack).  Both were right hand threads, but one was coarse and one was fine.  Somewhere along its life, somebody had swapped out the cross tube for one that was female threaded and used male tie rod ends.  Still, there was a coarse and a fine thread.  I could find those ends, believe it or not, but had no luck at all on finding a tube like that.

When I changed it out (it was bent right through one of the ends), I found a cross tube that was within 1/4" of the same length, and was the same diameter in the center.  I found "normal" LH/RH ends that fit the tube (1-1/8" threads, I think ... can't swear to it now though) and the knuckles (3/4" or 7/8"... again I can't remember now).

The tube was a standard part, but I can't find any of the records on the purchase now.  Seems like it may have been a Meritor part that fit some certain model of a Ford.  Anyway, it fit beautifully and everything worked out perfectly.

But, try as I might, I can't find any of the records where I bought the tube or the ends.  I tried to find it to help some other guy on here fix his a while back, and just felt terrible that I couldn't dig up the info.

I remember looking up tubes on Automann, Meritor, Euclid, and a slew of other places.  I even found one outfit that would make pretty much any tube you wanted, for a fee.  In the end, there was one available.  Just wish I could find the records on it.

So, I really appreciate what you are doing here.  "Retrofit Kits" for some of the more common models would be a welcome sight.  If I still had mine, I might could have come up with those numbers to help you spec out the R600/FA535 kit, but I just can't remember or find any of those old records.

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

16 hours ago, doubleclutchinweasel said:

Barry, I had similar issues replacing the tie rod and ends on my R (FA 535 axle).  The factory cross tube was male-ended and the tie rod ends were those split females (have the parts breakdowns from Mack).  Both were right hand threads, but one was coarse and one was fine.  Somewhere along its life, somebody had swapped out the cross tube for one that was female threaded and used male tie rod ends.  Still, there was a coarse and a fine thread.  I could find those ends, believe it or not, but had no luck at all on finding a tube like that.

When I changed it out (it was bent right through one of the ends), I found a cross tube that was within 1/4" of the same length, and was the same diameter in the center.  I found "normal" LH/RH ends that fit the tube (1-1/8" threads, I think ... can't swear to it now though) and the knuckles (3/4" or 7/8"... again I can't remember now).

The tube was a standard part, but I can't find any of the records on the purchase now.  Seems like it may have been a Meritor part that fit some certain model of a Ford.  Anyway, it fit beautifully and everything worked out perfectly.

But, try as I might, I can't find any of the records where I bought the tube or the ends.  I tried to find it to help some other guy on here fix his a while back, and just felt terrible that I couldn't dig up the info.

I remember looking up tubes on Automann, Meritor, Euclid, and a slew of other places.  I even found one outfit that would make pretty much any tube you wanted, for a fee.  In the end, there was one available.  Just wish I could find the records on it.

So, I really appreciate what you are doing here.  "Retrofit Kits" for some of the more common models would be a welcome sight.  If I still had mine, I might could have come up with those numbers to help you spec out the R600/FA535 kit, but I just can't remember or find any of those old records.

Thanks!  Yeah, I have done a lot of research and come up with a kit...I just mainly wanted to see what size is most common.  I went with 3/4" studs and a 58" tube length...$225.00 for a complete assembly! 

http://www.wattstruckcenter.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=588&search=tie+rod

bmodel_logo.png
Barry - Watt's Truck Center Parts Manager and BMT Webmaster...1-888-304-MACK

That is cool.  I wish something like that had existed when I did mine!  Would have saved me a lot of time searching.  Biggest hiccup I had was that I wanted to keep the 2-1/2" OD tube to match what was on there.  Tubes that big were not common.  Lots of 2", but not a lot of 2-1/2".

Still drives me crazy that I can't find any info from where I bought that.  Seems like I lost a hard drive on my computer sometime around then, and I think all my part numbers were on it.

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."