Help ID Leak (and recommend fix)

GB26JJ

Question

New to the forum…and new to big trucks in general!  I recently bought a 2006 Mack CV713 and am running a solo dump business right now. I’ve noticed a leak where the drive shaft connects, just in front of the front tandem wheels (not really in the know as to the parts, sorry).  

My dealership has proven WAY less than helpful on other issues so far, so I’m trying to diagnose this issue on my own.  Is this common?  An “easy” fix?

Thanks in advance for any help. 

3B44C22B-7F64-4802-B2AE-F422CA42A5E8.jpeg

8 answers to this question

i made one out of a 1/4 fender mounting bar..  I burnt a hole in the middle for 5/8" threaded rod,  I had a few cut offs from brake chambers to use as the jack screw and didnt care if it got messed up...  i use the old u-joint straps to hold the bar in place...  and then,,,,  'git'r done'....   a, 3lb hammer does help to get it to break loose..  just like Onyx said...  I know all to well about the rust up north..  My oxy/acet. bill down here is very low....  :)   jojo

• Like 1

I appreciate y’all.

Where do I check this oil level (and add more if necessary)?  No way for me to know how long it’s been leaking, although one of the things the “stealership” did in early July was replace some other U-joints.  I’m assuming they would’ve checked the fluids then, too?

assume only that blinders were worn when the work was done..   On the back of the rear end housing is a 5/8" square plug...  that is where you check and fill the level........         When the carrier is replaced,  you fill the power divider first, (Front rear only) then the side cover (top reduction) then the 'bowl'  rear plug... fill til they spill..  the rear rear has only 2 fill spots...  the side cover first then the rear plug....  :)   jojo

• Like 1