U Model Doors

I have a 1975 U model that I restored in 2003. I still use it everyday. I made a mistake and just fixed the outside bottom of the doors instead of replacing the doors. Now I don't want to fix them, but the new door shells from Mack are $1100.00 each. I've checked on some aftermarket through ebay search but haven't put my hands on any. I would buy some good used if not all rotted out too. Does anyone have any suggestions? Also, does anybody know where to get a new light tan, padded dash and compartment box that mounts on the back wall between the seats in the same truck? Thanks. Jim

I have a 1975 U model that I restored in 2003. I still use it everyday. I made a mistake and just fixed the outside bottom of the doors instead of replacing the doors. Now I don't want to fix them, but the new door shells from Mack are $1100.00 each. I've checked on some aftermarket through ebay search but haven't put my hands on any. I would buy some good used if not all rotted out too. Does anyone have any suggestions? Also, does anybody know where to get a new light tan, padded dash and compartment box that mounts on the back wall between the seats in the same truck? Thanks. Jim

An upholstery shop can recover the dash pad for you. It is not that difficult if you have patience and know how to use a heat gun. A little patience and practice goes a long way. The heat gun will readily release the glue that holds the original covering and the foam can be left in place, repaired, then resprayed with glue, and reupholstered. More difficult sounding than it really is.

I've got a couple of those cab back stowage containers and one is missing the lid, the other has a broken hinge which I will repair with a plastic welder. I've seen several trucks in the yards that have them so it should not be difficult to acquire one.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

The doors are the same as the R,DM and F model.

With the exception of the closing panel for the rocker that is welded to the bottom of the drivers, (left) side door. This part can be transferred to the new shell from the old.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.