Superliners and Automatic/automated transmission

qaaya

Hi all,

I've been doing some research and I'm trying to work out what was offered with the Superliner in terms of Automatic/automated transmissions in the US. I've found an Allison 4560(?) available in various models of Mack, was that actually an auto (with Drive) or a clutchless box that the driver shifts? Were there any true autos offered with the Superliner?

Also, as there were Roadranger transmissions in Superliners would it be theoretically possible to mod in a more modern Eaton auto? Would it be theoretically possible to mod in a more modern Allison?

Thanks for any insights and a big thanks to everyone who posts such great information on here.

Edited by qaaya

3 hours ago, qaaya said:

Hi all,

I've been doing some research and I'm trying to work out what was offered with the Superliner in terms of Automatic/automated transmissions in the US. I've found an Allison 4560(?) available in various models of Mack, was that actually an auto (with Drive) or a clutchless box that the driver shifts? Were there any true autos offered with the Superliner?

Also, as there were Roadranger transmissions in Superliners would it be theoretically possible to mod in a more modern Eaton auto? Would it be theoretically possible to mod in a more modern Allison?

Thanks for any insights and a big thanks to everyone who posts such great information on here.

Anything is possible if you have the the where with all and the money depending on the hp you plan on using! The Allison likley won.t work well behind a V8 How ever a E6 E7 It will do fine! your best to get a donor truck for parts the biggest draw back is the trans cooling lots of extra plumbing!

No reason you can't drop an etech engine and an Allison hd4560 into a superliner.  A trash truck (mr688) would probably be your best bet on a donor truck.  You better be good with computers and wiring harnesses though. Etechs use an engine computer, vehicle computer, and abs.  The Allison has its own set of computers and shift selector that need to stay integrated with the VMAC III system of the Mack.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JoeH said:

No reason you can't drop an etech engine and an Allison hd4560 into a superliner.  A trash truck (mr688) would probably be your best bet on a donor truck.  You better be good with computers and wiring harnesses though. Etechs use an engine computer, vehicle computer, and abs.  The Allison has its own set of computers and shift selector that need to stay integrated with the VMAC III system of the Mack.

Thanks for the responses so far!

So Allison HD4560 would require etec. Hmm. Am I right in thinking any factory Automatics (rare beasts) would be Allison HD740 or 750s?

I think it's largely dependent on what years the specific model trans you want was offered. I have a 2003 mr688 former trash truck now turned concrete mixer truck that has the HD4560 paired to an etech AI-350.  I think trash trucks are generally spec'd with top of the line powertrains. Don't know what year superliners you're looking at, but I know the R models are virtually unchanged for a long time. I'm sure the brackets exist to match whatever engine transmission you want into a superliner. Mack was pretty good about using the same components across multiple models.  We have a 1976 U model that had the same exact frame rails as our 1979 R model. The front half of one rail got transplanted into the R model to replace a vertical crack in the R model frame.

Edited by JoeH

From what I have been able to figure out the mechanical engines work well with a mechanical transmission 

it was not unheard of for highway departments to spec the maxadine with a Allison such as MT654

the newer transmission need to talk to the computer on the engine 

the auto shift eatons also need throttle control 

9 hours ago, JoeH said:

I think it's largely dependent on what years the specific model trans you want was offered. I have a 2003 mr688 former trash truck now turned concrete mixer truck that has the HD4560 paired to an etech AI-350.  I think trash trucks are generally spec'd with top of the line powertrains. Don't know what year superliners you're looking at, but I know the R models are virtually unchanged for a long time. I'm sure the brackets exist to match whatever engine transmission you want into a superliner. Mack was pretty good about using the same components across multiple models.  We have a 1976 U model that had the same exact frame rails as our 1979 R model. The front half of one rail got transplanted into the R model to replace a vertical crack in the R model frame.

8 hours ago, Quickfarms said:

From what I have been able to figure out the mechanical engines work well with a mechanical transmission 

it was not unheard of for highway departments to spec the maxadine with a Allison such as MT654

the newer transmission need to talk to the computer on the engine 

the auto shift eatons also need throttle control 

All good to know, thanks for the info guys :)