Questions about a Mack Ch613

Been seeing a Mack ch613 parked by my house for the last couple of months now and Im wondering if I should go ask about it. It's a 1996 with a 13 speed Mack transmission not sure on miles or any of that. With the price of fuel a more fuel efficient truck would be nice, but not sure if that would balance out the $1000 a year for tag that we don't have to pay with our other truck. What price should it be worth? What are some things I should look for? Ive never owned an E7 before so what do I need to know? Thanks! 

Inline pumps can be computer controlled from ~1991 on. It's called econovance or something.  Drive hub for the fuel pump is electronically controlled via VMAC I and VMAC II computers.  About 1998 is when it went full computer with the EUP fuel pumps.  I have 2001 in my head as the best year for the ETECH motors.

The E7 can be full mechanical or partial computer controlled. You have to look closely at the fuel pump assembly to figure it out.

• Like 2

Does the econovance ever have much problems to the point it won't run? I think I've heard of the wiring to them going bad but I've never heard of one mechanically busting. 

Anyone know what kinda fuel economy I could get? Its a daycab so I'd think it would be pretty good. 

I like an E-7 Mechanical any day of the week..  Reliable engines. The ones with the electric governor housings are very good. The plug and wires for it are good, but if the duetch connector has come out of the yoke that holds it in place, and ran loose for a long time, the wires can be weakened to the point they lose contact. Its fixable..  As far as MPG..  hard to say, maybe around 7..  I still see parts for them, and our pump shops, can repair the injection pump if needed.  Good luck, jojo

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I see this topic has been open for a while but hope someone can answer a follow-up question.

I have been running a 1978 DM685 tri-axle for the last 30 years and it looks like a replacement is required.   

Looking online produced a 1995 CH613 that may fit my bill.

My question - is a 95 on the good list (mechanical) or the Ok list?

How many miles/hours are typical before a rebuild on the E-7?

Talking to my Mack service manager he said to stay away from 2003 - 2007 (06-07 in particular) but I didn't ask about a 95.

95 is a good year, a well maintained E-7 can go a million miles.  I would have one of those over any 2003-2006....  More comments will be here soon.. Good luck on your search.. 

• Like 1