MP8 Engine Brake not Fully Disengaging

Todd71106

Greetings 2013 Mack Granite MP8 13 Speed 300k miles 

My engine brake seems to not be fully disengaging. The deceleration function shuts off, but the part that makes it hard to shift does not. Are used to be able to turn the switch on and off a couple times and it would fully disengage. Now, when accelerating, at about 1500 RPM the engine makes a swooshing over rev sound. If anybody out there could point me in the right direction, as to where to start looking, it would be greatly appreciated.

12 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

you reckon the V.E.B.C. is failing or maybe a bad oring in it??  jojo

That is very possible. I haven’t seen one go bad yet, but you have seen a lot more of this then I have. Sounds like a communication issue

On 3/12/2022 at 4:11 PM, Joey Mack said:

you reckon the V.E.B.C. is failing or maybe a bad oring in it??  jojo

What is the V.E.B.C.? Variable engine brake control? That’s just a guess. Lol. There is no power loss.

Yesterday for the first time the engine brake shut itself off even though the switch was turned on. It came back on about 10 seconds later.  I am pulling 130 barrel tanker, so that engine brake really makes a big difference. I don’t know if it matters, but the truck was deleted about six months ago. This is my first big truck. I chose this model because of the camelback suspension and the rough lease Roads that I am running.

88D38D8D-CE5F-472F-89B8-38E5395CB8FB.jpeg

Edited by Todd71106
Spelling error

2 hours ago, Todd71106 said:

What is the V.E.B.C.? Variable engine brake control? That’s just a guess. Lol. There is no power loss.

Yesterday for the first time the engine brake shut itself off even though the switch was turned on. It came back on about 10 seconds later.  I am pulling 130 barrel tanker, so that engine brake really makes a big difference. I don’t know if it matters, but the truck was deleted about six months ago. This is my first big truck. I chose this model because of the camelback suspension and the rough lease Roads that I am running.

88D38D8D-CE5F-472F-89B8-38E5395CB8FB.jpeg

Does the dash show any malfunction lights? Is the truck auto or manual trans? NO ? then  The V.E.B.C is the engine brake valve under the valve cover these have been known to have issues at times! We have had them failed right out of the box! could also be the switch on the dash or the clutch switch if equipped !

Edited by fjh
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, fjh said:

Does the dash show any malfunction lights? Is the truck auto or manual trans? NO ? then  The V.E.B.C is the engine l

No engine lights on. Truck is a 13  speed manual. It’s really not a big deal other than making look like I don’t know how to drive a manual and wearing out my brake linings faster. It sure is nice though when it works. I guess I’ll pull that valve cover off or get permission to swap engine brake switches with another Mac truck on the lot to see if that is the problem.

• 8 months later...