237 to 673 water pump

darkkar

I put the 237 in my b model. I went to use the the 673 water pump and housing so my fan would not hit the radiator. But the 673 water pump will not fit the oil cooler on the 237. Everyone says they do it I dont see how. If the oil cooler end needs to be a different style what's the part number thanks

There are three or four different water pumps used with the B series on 673 engines. Most differences were porting for coolant flow but if your original engine did not have an oil cooler it's water pump will not work with the ENDT-675 series without extensive modifications to the oil cooler pack front housing. You need to acquire a later version water pump. I have one with a bad casting at the shop and can get you a part number if needed to research.

The correct pump is a direct fit for installing the later engine into the earlier chassis. I have an E6-350 in my B-61 using a water pump originally for a 1964 B-61 w/711 engine and going to run twin electric cooling fans rather than mechanical for both modulated, and quieter operation.

Rob

• Like 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I would figure the pump itself would be a non issue? It just bolts into the housing.  My 673 was a non oil cooler and worked fine in my 237.  I figure it is only the shaft length that changes.  Try putting just the 673 pump in the 237 housing.

Edited by Freightrain

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

I think it depends how the oil cooler on the later engine is set up. I have a couple different variants with slightly different orientations to the mountings. The water pumps themselves will mount into any of the carriers it seems. Some oil coolers are mounted flat, some are at a rotated angle and take a different water pump and/or oil cooler adapter face to meet up with the oil cooler body. Examples: One of my engines is an ENDT-675, but I have no idea what it is originally from. Another is an ENDT-676 from a 76 R-686 and the oil coolers are different in their respective mountings, and orientation. The ENDT-676 engine is the ESI, where the ENDT-675 is not, and that may be a player also. To further add variables, the ENDT-675 engine has a water pump installed I've not seen otherwise, but is short enough to fit a B-61 application. Both my 57 B-61, and 58 B-61 (had/have respectively) their original water pumps and they differ although the original engines to their chassis. Neither of those have oil coolers. Both trucks have very complete maintenance logs and do list water pump rebuilds and dates within. Both trucks being one owner, (prior to me) were well cared for and documented is the information I'm drawing from.   

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.