427 ASET coolant in oil and air intake manifold

Brad Carpenter

Im thinking a head gasket or cracked head. 04 427 ASET engine. I have coolant standing in the air intake tube and a little in the oil (milky), also crystalized coolant in the air horn where the line connects from the EGR cooler. The truck has been smoking heavily sometimes grey sometimes white for a couple months now smoking would come and go truck would also randomly shut down but no codes, when it would shut down or stumble it acted like it was running out of fuel but throughout we never saw any contamination in the oil and no signs of it in the intake we did however get heavy oil in the exhaust so we did a turbo but now it runs really rough and smoking is continuous. Anybody have any thoughts?? 

Have you looked inside the EGR cooler? pull the exh. pipes off of it and see if its wet with coolant... pressurize the cooling system to 20psi and look for a leak or bubbles , in the cooler... im scratching my head right now,,,,, just for kicks, pull the air compressor intake tube off and look for coolant there,  mabey coming from the air compressor,,,  i think the intake for the compressor is before the turbo, in the intake pipe off the air cleaner, older models got the air feed from the intake manifold, which was boosted by the turbo. good luck, Jojo

Joey Mack is correct. Those EGR coolers were bad for leaking. If a head gasket is going to fail then combustion gases will push coolant out the coolant overflow. 

On a side note, if you have a Bendix air compressor, the intake was on the suction side of the turbo and would draw oil out of the compressor. There were plenty of service bulletins that addressed this issue as well.

Did you notice your engine oil level dropping? You mentioned that you found heavy oil in the exhaust. 

1 hour ago, Vmac3 said:

Joey Mack is correct. Those EGR coolers were bad for leaking. If a head gasket is going to fail then combustion gases will push coolant out the coolant overflow. 

On a side note, if you have a Bendix air compressor, the intake was on the suction side of the turbo and would draw oil out of the compressor. There were plenty of service bulletins that addressed this issue as well.

Did you notice your engine oil level dropping? You mentioned that you found heavy oil in the exhaust. 

Yes the oil level was dropping and we do have the Bendix compressor. We did also have coolant pushing out of the overflow tank

It doesn't look good. But I would of deleted the coolant lines from the air compressor first then run the truck. Just to be sure. If its the same then.......Hope the counter bores will be okay.

Edited by Vmac3
extra idea

2 minutes ago, Vmac3 said:

Oh oh. Well you know what to do now. Hope the engine counter bores will be in shape.

yes im hoping so too..wondering though if you or anyone on here might know if we can eliminate the egr cooler? were in Phoenix AZ so we dont have emission testing on this truck we bought it used out of california and the boss wanted to know if we could delete the egr system

The Egr system can be deleted, but the engine ECU has to reprogrammed to ignore the EGR. If you go ahead and do the delete, the engine ECU will not see EGR flow when the EGR is commanded on. Then the check engine light will come on and de-rate the engine. I have found plugs on the EGR cooler to block the EGR flow on several trucks but they all had the check engine light on and de-rated engine power. I understand your frustration but its illegal to attempt this. 

15 hours ago, Vmac3 said:

The Egr system can be deleted, but the engine ECU has to reprogrammed to ignore the EGR. If you go ahead and do the delete, the engine ECU will not see EGR flow when the EGR is commanded on. Then the check engine light will come on and de-rate the engine. I have found plugs on the EGR cooler to block the EGR flow on several trucks but they all had the check engine light on and de-rated engine power. I understand your frustration but its illegal to attempt this. 

got it thanks for the info guess we will just have to get the system back on and healthy