Superliner 2 Replacement Grilldensor

21 minutes ago, thomastractorsvc said:

Anyone replace condenser with aftermarket one? What did you get and what size.  

My grilldensor was plugged with calcium and oil, thought we got it cleaned out still having problems with charging system

I have done this fix. The Red Dot # 77R1105 condenser fits perfectly, it is an R-134 unit. I go over the retro-fit in this post: Red Dot R-8810-M Started June 9, 2019 photos and all.  Let me know if I can help more. :thumb:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AZB755V8 said:

I have done this fix. The Red Dot # 77R1105 condenser fits perfectly, it is an R-134 unit. I go over the retro-fit in this post: Red Dot R-8810-M Started June 9, 2019 photos and all.  Let me know if I can help more. :thumb:

That little condenser is enough to keep everything cold?  Looks like it is only about 8" tall.

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

2 hours ago, thomastractorsvc said:

That little condenser is enough to keep everything cold?  Looks like it is only about 8" tall.

Yes it does! It is all about heat transfer. There is as much if not more area as the Grilldenser with all the fins and is R-134 comparable. It does cool better. Grilldeser is R-12 only I was told. It is the same condenser as used on the CL's. That is how I matched it up. Never heard of any A/C cooling issues with the CL's. I do have an original condenser out of a CL if you want it $50 plus the shipping. It is in good shape and will bolt right in, holes where already in my radiator side rails, I just wanted new. Whole conversion cost about $800 in parts. Have to get higher pressure hoses for R-134. They were 1/3 the total cost. Come to think of it I have good used R-134 hoses, dryer and valve too $150 for all. Only thing left is the compressor to get.

Edited by AZB755V8
  • Like 1

On 4/27/2020 at 12:26 AM, AZB755V8 said:

Yes it does! It is all about heat transfer. There is as much if not more area as the Grilldenser with all the fins and is R-134 comparable. It does cool better. Grilldeser is R-12 only I was told. It is the same condenser as used on the CL's. That is how I matched it up. Never heard of any A/C cooling issues with the CL's. I do have an original condenser out of a CL if you want it $50 plus the shipping. It is in good shape and will bolt right in, holes where already in my radiator side rails, I just wanted new. Whole conversion cost about $800 in parts. Have to get higher pressure hoses for R-134. They were 1/3 the total cost. Come to think of it I have good used R-134 hoses, dryer and valve too $150 for all. Only thing left is the compressor to get.

I wanted to update, Thanks for the info I try and get a couple pictures.  I mounted mine to the the lower tabs on the charge air cooler using 3/8 bolts and a couple washers for spacers.

I bought the AC Condenser, dryer and expansion valve form part http://www.partdeal.com/ they are a RedDot distributors and I replaced the evaporator coil from amazon.

All in less compressor $331.46, I bought a compressor local $264.51, should have gotten it from Partdeal.com.

image.png.fe0c36c3226e994295f66e50cdcef96d.png

image.png.1dc6a78e5c6c4ae12b296f411dffc95a.png

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

11 hours ago, thomastractorsvc said:

I wanted to update,

All in less compressor $331.46, I bought a compressor local $264.51, should have gotten it from Partdeal.com.

Rob,

Glad you got the parts and information needed to cool down your RW.

I understand saving a buck and I freely help anyone that ask even though the information cost me time and money. I do support my local parts Guy's and their businesses. Without them the only thing we would have is internet on-line sales and hope the right parts come. Remember when the Mack parts counter Guy's could help you without a Vin# and looking at a computer screen for 30 minutes to find the correct part. Old times guy would just go in the back and bring out what you were looking for, those days are long gone. It is nice that a few Real parts guys still exist and it does not cost that much to support them.

I spent $800 in parts, with the higher pressure hoses, which were 1/3 the cost. Parts without hoses were $570 adding $220 for crimped custom hoses locally. Plus, got information, talked to a knowledgeable person, returned a unused part (without restocking fee or shipping) and had hoses made in 15 minutes, all expected for Great sales/service. Also had the Evaporator coil tested for $20, it was good that was in the $570 for parts. Think I got a good deal plus share what I learned.:thumb:

Edited by AZB755V8

1 hour ago, Quickfarms said:

Will that condenser work in an RS?

The condenser in any system just needs to fit the area available. The newer R-134 condensers are a lot more efficient than older R-12 ones and much smaller. There is one other thing that is important, where the ports are located and which way they are directed. It did take me a few condensers to get the right one for the RW. Using my local A/C Red Dot distributor helped a lot. Taking one and trying it then returning it at no restocking charge. The 77R1105 had the ports high enough to clear the wide frame of a Superliner II. The other condensers would have worked with a standard R or maybe an RS. The area needed is approx, 33" wide X 9" tall X 1.25" thick under the intercooler. If you need exact dimensions I can get them in a day or so.