EM7-300 using oil

Straydog954

Hi am new to site and diesel engines.  Have 96 RD dump with mechanical 300 with 450k miles, 24 k hrs. Engine is using excessive oil when working, like a gallon a day. Starts easy in cold weather and runs smooth but does have intermittent blue smoke. What is the best way to determine if it needs rebuilding?

Yes air element is new. During one occasion last year the truck was putting out a ton of blue smoke at idle. Oil was dripping out exhaust side of turbo, nothing on pressure side. I took turbo to shop and they said play is fine not the problem. I did notice after removing turbo that it was tacky inside of exhaust manifold ports from oil. The heavy blue smoke since quit on its own. Every now and then I notice some blue smoke at idle but not constant. It seems to smoke more in reverse gear which seems odd. Just trying to figure out where to go from here. Take to shop and have leak down test and compression test done to check ring and liner health? Has blow by out draft tube and oil fill when warm but nothing when engine is cold for first few minutes of operation  

Well your hours Are quite High ! How ever Sorry  Not being there Is hard to Direct you, This could be still turbo related Could be valve guides or rings too! Depending on the bloby  and how much money you want to throw at it!  Maybe time for a overhaul! your leak down idea is a good start i suppose!

• Like 1