B67 steering box?

B67 steering box.     Will it come out of the truck with the engine in and cab on?    I’m not sure but I think this is a specific question for a b67.   I think the 61’s are mounted a little back further.      I’m not sure.     I don’t want to get it stuck part way then have it in the way to pull the engine, and I’m not ready to pull the engine at this time.    

Mine seams to line up with the blow by pipe and below that is my tie rod.      I wasn’t sure if there was enough room to slide shaft through the frame rail.      I don’t remember if the tie rod is front or back originally mines behind.    

It'll come out but you need to have the axle much higher than even a B42, or 61 series as you don't have the room to work the gear forward without a lot of vertical clearance. Drop the center link out of the way.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

After a few hours I got it out.  But not after using sawzall on shaft above box.    Floor layout gave me issues and also tilt of engine kicked oil pan flange and sump.   Once I got the sector shaft below the bottom flange of the frame I couldn’t get the box below the flange on the block the oil pan bolts to.       Then after cutting column off about 3” above box I got it wedged between spring and sump.    I don’t  really remember what I did then but eventually it came out.     After several hours I was running out of blood and patience.    It may come out all together but it didn’t for me.      

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hobert62 said:

After a few hours I got it out.  But not after using sawzall on shaft above box.    Floor layout gave me issues and also tilt of engine kicked oil pan flange and sump.   Once I got the sector shaft below the bottom flange of the frame I couldn’t get the box below the flange on the block the oil pan bolts to.       Then after cutting column off about 3” above box I got it wedged between spring and sump.    I don’t  really remember what I did then but eventually it came out.     After several hours I was running out of blood and patience.    It may come out all together but it didn’t for me.      

I got stuck doing one just after July 4th, 1976 and it was a real pain. I did however have a 10 ton "one end" jack and was able to get the front bumper almost five feet off the floor and it came out easy. I did remove the center link but really didn't have to.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

58 minutes ago, Rob said:

It'll come out but you need to have the axle much higher than even a B42, or 61 series as you don't have the room to work the gear forward without a lot of vertical clearance. Drop the center link out of the way.

Do the 61 and 42 sit higher then a 67?   Idk if I would have ran into axle clearance or not.    I couldn’t get it that far down.  

Just now, Hobert62 said:

Do the 61 and 42 sit higher then a 67?   Idk if I would have ran into axle clearance or not.    I couldn’t get it that far down.  

No, but the cab sheet metal gets in the way as it's more compact.

• Like 1