Oil in Air system

ivanuke

I have a 2005 CHN613 that started shooting oil out of the air dryer whenever the compressor reached max PSI and leaving oil circle stains on the floor. I'm not familiar with this problem should I replace the air dryer or could is this signs that my compressor is going bad? It still builds pressure fine and when I manually drain the air tanks nothing but air comes out and a little bit of moisture at first. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

Edited by ivanuke

I’d service the dryer before winter and monitor how long it goes till the oil starts showing again. Oil coating beads in the dryer neg affects their ability to saturate water. 

If you want a measurement take the compressor air line off the dryer and shoot it at a white piece of paper while running. See how much oil is actually coming through. 

Also can check fresh air supply to compressor to make sure there isn’t negative pressure causing oil to pull past the rings of the compressor.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I just got around to trying to fix this issue, I did what you recommended and this is the amount of oil it put on the paper in 1 minutes time. Any advice on where to check next? I'm not sure how to verifdy if oil is being pulled past the rings of the compressor.

Paper was about 24" away from supply line for 1 minute.

1924594874_Oilonpaperfromairdryer.jpg.6dcf4b1305eb30e6c3393a61121746f4.jpg

Update: I ran the truck for 30min  and then did another 1 minute paper test. This is the results. Im  assuming the first test was maybe risidual, dont know if itll clean up after a while. Thoughts?

Oil on paper from air dryer 2.jpg

Edited by ivanuke
Updated

2 hours ago, Mack Technician said:

Time for a compressor.

The compressor on my truck is a meritor system saver 318, i cant seem to find any for sale. Any compressor brand should do as long as it fits and same CFM? Im thinking one from bendix as those seem easier to find. I'll have to take a closer look tomorrow.

Edited by ivanuke

• 3 months later...

dual filter design increases the oil flow rate to the engine by 5 times that of a conventional oil filter while increasing filtering efficiency to 99% of contaminants at 25 microns. That’s a huge increase from the 52% that a standard filter can do.

https://www.dieselworldmag.com/diesel-technology/tested-hubb-oil-filtration-system/