Frame rails

Kellerfarm2

Question

Ok I found a Mack superliner that my sold to wrecking yard a few years ago.. it all there but the transmission,  but has been chopped into pieces.. I found a 1996 Rd688 frame complete with 290 wheel base. Can I drop this Mack v8 400hp motor in or to narrow...

3 answers to this question

Don't know about an RD frame. The RW and MH and CL frames are wider at the front to fit the E9 engine. There were some DM's with E9's as well. A strait frame may not work as is but anything is possible. Even the aluminum frame waistcoats E9 trucks had the front part of the frame wider. 

All R and RD frames I've ever seen splay out wider around the engine and transmission. A good double frame RD should probably take a V8 just fine, but I don't know how much fabricating you'll have to do for engine mounts.

The v8 also makes a lot of heat, i don't think the R model radiator surface area is big enough to keep it cool if you're gonna work it hard. Superliners have that big square hood to hold a big square radiator. Not sure if a superliners cab and hood will bolt right to a Rd frame.  Might have to make some parts.

• Like 1